Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused over "new(?)" rules

Hi all,
    I've been hearing that there are new rules for OCI cards and about surrendering Indian Passports. I'm very confused.

Our family got US citizenship in 2005 and my dad got OCI card last year. Our Indian passports are canceled and they were returned to us. I heard that people need to surrender their Indian Passports if they got OCI card. Our family has been to India with US Passport & Indian Visa. My dad has been to India after getting the OCI card. Are there any changes that affect us.

What is meant by surrendering a passport? Is it canceling the passport and getting it back? Do I have to turn in my canceled passports? No one we talked to know what's going on except that there have been some rule changes. I read the rules and FAQs but I don't see anything affecting us. Please help. Thank you

Please refer the new rules in Consulate website. Surrender passport basically menans a new stamp on your passport stating you acquire foriegn citizenship along with that they provide you a certificate called "Surrender certificate". Since you mentioned your passport is cancelled already and you acquire your citizen well before 05/31/2010 and you are already OCI holder, there is no impact. But just few days ago, it was whole new story and our consulate was changing the rules hourly based. I think now it is settled down and you are alright.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X