Passport Expiring before Renewal is complete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passport Expiring before Renewal is complete

My passport is expiring in one week. I have already applied for passport renewal and it has been two weeks now and my application is still in review at the embassy.

Are there any consequences if my passport is not renewed before the expiry date?

My I94 date is not updated on the site, but my H1B petition is valid for another year.

The question does not make any sense. The time you are legally allowed to stay in the US is determined by I94 (either issued at the POE or by the one that comes with your H1 extension). Your passport has not got anything to do with it.
    Just an opinion; Not legal advice.

Comment

Thank you for your response.

I have been reading conflicting opinions about always maintaining a valid passport while on H1B. hence the question.

Comment

Check the entry stamp on arrival in the visa page (if you have taken copy before sending passport for renewal). They also give i-94 expiry date.
        Usually they don't issue i-94 beyond your passport expiry date even if visa validity is beyond that date. But if your i-94 really is later than passport expiry then you can stay.
        Anyway check with an attorney ASAP instead of this site.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X