Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCI application mismatch on middle name provided

Hi everyone,

By mistake on the OCI government site application, I did not include my middle name because there was no middle name field. Later I came to know that I should have included both first and middle names on the Given Name field. On my VFS application, I do have my middle name is included so now VFS has put my application on hold for the following reason:

Name Change Documentation : Notarized name change affidavit required: Applicant's name does not match with OCI form.

I've never had a name change before, it was simply a mistake of not typing in the full name.

Has anyone been in a similar situation with VFS before? How did you fix it? I do not want to notarize because then in the future on all legal applications I will have to say that I've had a name change, which is not true.

Thanks for your advice!

I got a similar email from VFS for father name mismatch and asking for notarized affidavit for name change and explaining the difference. I am planning to send a notarized document explaining the difference. Do you have any update from VFS on this?

Comment

Originally posted by milind_2020 View Post
      I got a similar email from VFS for father name mismatch and asking for notarized affidavit for name change and explaining the difference. I am planning to send a notarized document explaining the difference. Do you have any update from VFS on this?
      I had same problem regarding my dad's last name being different on OCI application vs indian passport. I just explained in a letter that when we renewed the passport the agent didn't realize the family name. They accepted that.

Comment

I had the same issue with my father's name and they wanted an affidavit to show his name was changed. I made $100 worth of calls to customer service in India who wasted my time and were NO help at all. I finally got an affidavit for my 90 year old father( during Covid) to show his name was not changed and the error was the formatting of the form. VFS simultaneously returned my application the same day my affidavit was sent and requested me to reapply for the OCI.

My affidavit was never returned by VFS.

When I paid fees and reapplied the second time, I got the names correct but this time they asked me for documents that were never asked the first time.

My advise don't waste your time and energy explaining the issue with them. I wasted a month on this. I wrote over a hundred emails to the VFS infoline. Zero help.
        Reapply with the correct names and then request a refund of fees sent earlier.

Comment

Thank you for sharing this. I applied for my OCI last week and I received an email asking for a name change affidavit because I dropped my initial from my US passport. I've never changed my name officially but now I'll submit a notarized declaration saying that I'm the same person listed on both passports. At this point, just hoping and praying that that accept this and process my OCI.

Comment

yes we had the same thing and we did a notray saying all the names are same and nothing has been changed and they accepted and we got the renunciation certificate. You can find great formats online for notary

Comment

Yes, I too had same issue, i missed to mention my father's last name in application and now VFS asked to share name change document. But i never changed my name.
              pls help me on detailed procedure? by only sending letter with notary is enough? or need to upload they letter too on their VFS link?

Comment

Hello,
                I recently applied for an OCI and made an error in the mother's name. The mother name on my indian (renunciation) passport has the suffix Ben but I did not included on the Gov. application form. I received an email from VFS for name change affidavit due to mother name different on gov. application form and indian passport is different.

Can anyone experienced similar? Please assist how to do affidavit if there was mistake filling gov. application form. My mother is in india. Does she need to do affidavit and mail me in US or can I do it here? thanks in advance

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                X