OCI application - US passport return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCI application - US passport return

So today I received my US passport back via Fedex without any notification or anything that it was dispatched by VFS. What if the package was lost or something. I would have never known about it and it would have been too late to follow up about the package whenever I would have known about it. VFS should at least send some notification about this.

Did anyone else receive notification in advance from VFS that their US passport has been dispatched?
    Last edited by Donald_Trump; 12-29-2020, 01:40 PM.

I also have received my daughter's passport via FedEx, without any notification.

Comment

There wasn't any notification for myself and 2 other family members.

Comment

Happened to me and my kids OCI applications as well in the same way. Fortunately, I enrolled in MyFEDEX account to get text messages whenever a package is enroute to my house. I got alerted with that indicating a package is going to arrive. VFS is not having a simple system to send a notification and it is sub-standard.

Comment

Thanks for all your replies. While, there was no issue in my case. But if for any reasons the passport was lost (Either by Fedex or VFS while shipping - We already have a known case where VFS sent documents to wrong address), I would have not known it fast enough to follow up and track. Again, buying courier from VFS is the best option as the chances of documents getting lost in that case is way low versus when you send you own prepaid labels bought by yourself.

kiranboda Yes, VFS's online system is really very bad. Instructions are ambigous and confusing and customer service is non existant. And on top of that, they charge a fortune for it. Also, this company VFS is not a new or small/irrelevant company. It handles millions of visa/consular applications for various countries including Canada, UK & other EU nations! VFS had run into issues earlier with EU where data handling and privacy rules are strict.
          Last edited by Donald_Trump; 12-29-2020, 08:50 PM.

Comment

@Donald_Trump: Glad to hear your passport is back with you safely. I am just awaiting for my passport to be returned. Do you know if VFS sent the US passport to the consulate for inspection or do they just review it themselves. My items are under review by ICAC(VFS) and haven't been passed to the consulate yet.

Also, it makes my wonder why does VFS have this near monopoly as far as consular services goes for virtually every country. Are they the only company around in the whole world. I can't seem to come to terms with the fact that nearly every government uses them given their horrible reputation.

Comment

Originally posted by sinnerman26 View Post
              @Donald_Trump: Glad to hear your passport is back with you safely. I am just awaiting for my passport to be returned. Do you know if VFS sent the US passport to the consulate for inspection or do they just review it themselves. My items are under review by ICAC(VFS) and haven't been passed to the consulate yet.

Also, it makes my wonder why does VFS have this near monopoly as far as consular services goes for virtually every country. Are they the only company around in the whole world. I can't seem to come to terms with the fact that nearly every government uses them given their horrible reputation.
              sinnerman26 So far, my experience with VFS has been smooth apart from navigating their confusing instructions and online system. So I got notification today (12/29) that my application has been sent to the Embassy and also received my passport shortly in Fedex (Same day). No, they don't send US passport to Indian Consulate. It is just needed for verification by VFS and sent back (This is mentioned in the instructions).

I think VFS is 1 of it's kind that does this kind of job and given its breadth and width and also the reputation of processing consular services for the Americans initially, they enjoy the monopoly! Being a monopoly, they have no accountability, responsibility much (If anything goes wrong anywhere in the process - the applicants are left high and dry to fight on their own).

Again I think CKGS were well set had their founder not caught in the loan fraud incident in India. And since VFS was the vendor prior to CKGS, they kind of got the contract by default it seems!
              Last edited by Donald_Trump; 12-29-2020, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Donald_Trump View Post

sinnerman26 So far, my experience with VFS has been smooth apart from navigating their confusing instructions and online system. So I got notification today (12/29) that my application has been sent to the Embassy and also received my passport shortly in Fedex (Same day). No, they don't send US passport to Indian Consulate. It is just needed for verification by VFS and sent back (This is mentioned in the instructions).

I think VFS is 1 of it's kind that does this kind of job and given its breadth and width and also the reputation of processing consular services for the Americans initially, they enjoy the monopoly! Being a monopoly, they have no accountability, responsibility much (If anything goes wrong anywhere in the process - the applicants are left high and dry to fight on their own).

Again I think CKGS were well set had their founder not caught in the loan fraud incident in India. And since VFS was the vendor prior to CKGS, they kind of got the contract by default it seems!
                I see, thanks for the update and also for sharing that article. Interesting overview of VFS' reach. One line that stuck out from the article is that they are also now partnering with municipalities in issuing birth and death certificates. Basically, they are going to own you from the cradle to the grave and everything else you do in between as far as government paperwork and traveling goes.

Comment

I got a notification from VFS Chicago yesterday stating that

"Dear Applicant,

Your Application has been ‘Processed’ at the VFS India Consular application Centre and currently is ‘In-Transit‘ to the Embassy of India/Consulate General of India for decision making."

However, there is no movement on the Fedex tracking package that they will use to send the US passport back. I've emailed VFS Helpdesk, but of course there is no response from them. It seems as if they did send my US passport to the Consulate for verification. I checked today on the Govt of India OCI website(https://ociservices.gov.in/) and it has been updated and shows my application as under process.

Anyone knows how soon after the application was sent to the Consulate that you received your US passport back and how many days does the Consulate takes to review your application?

Comment

sinnerman26 I got back my US passport the same day I received the notification that you got above from VFS

Comment

Originally posted by Donald_Trump View Post
                      sinnerman26 I got back my US passport the same day I received the notification that you got above from VFS
                      Interesting,

Today VFS responded back to my email query with the following:

"Thank you for contacting the VFS Indian Visa, Passport & OCI Application Center Help Desk in United States
                      We understand your concern regarding status of the application
                      We would like to infrom that your application is under process request you to wait as the processing time for the OCI application is approximate 5 to 6 weeks once it reach the embassy/consulate
                      The passport will be returned by VFS INDIA CONSULAR APPLICATION CENTRE within 3 – 5 business days after verification
                      In case of any further assistance, please feel free to reply on the same email and we will be glad to assist you."

I find it strange that they have been holding on to my US passport for this long unless they sent it to the Consulate for verification as well. I don't exactly understand what is the delineation of roles between VFS & Consulate in this regard. I'd think that VFS only makes sure that the items in the checklist are submitted, the fees are paid and the actual verification of the items would be done by the officials at the consulate.

Comment

sinnerman26 Most applicants (as reported on this forum) have received US passport back within 3-5 days after the application is processed at VFS. US passports are not sent to Consulates as Consulates have no business with US passports. US passport is just needed for verification which VFS does. The reason they have involved a 3rd party vendor is to avoid Consulate officials doing housekeeping and focus on processing and making visa decisions faster and making it efficient. From my experience from CKGS days, visa and OCI processes are pretty efficient and quick without much hassles (If you have followed all the instructions and submitted all required paperwork).

Even my renunciation and OCI processing was quick and efficient once I sent my application packet to VFS.
                        Last edited by Donald_Trump; 01-08-2021, 12:19 PM.

Comment

@sinnerman26 I got my passport back a week after they forwarded my application to the embassy. I think it depends on the work load at the VFS office. (Mine was DC). Take it easy for at least a week. Sending an email or calling VFS customer service is nothing but waste of time (and money).

Comment

I received my US passport back today from VFS.
                            Along with my original submission package, I had sent two Fedex Return Labels - One for return of Passport and the Second for sending the OCI card.

They also sent back the second Fedex Return Label. This second label was to be used to send the OCI card back to me. I was also returned the $15 Money Order.

I find it strange that they returned the second return label with this one instead of keeping it on their side and using it to send the OCI card back.

Comment

sinnerman26 Good you got your passport. But the other part is strange. So I paid by credit card and bought shipping from them by paying $30 online (part of the total invoice) and then as per instructions had sent the $15 money order (That amounts to a total of $45 worth of shipping). I used 1 label for sending my packet. They used the other shipping label that I had sent them to send my US passport back. They however, didn't send back my $15 money order so I am assuming they will use that $15 to send my OCI card.

Originally posted by sinnerman26 View Post
                              I received my US passport back today from VFS.
                              Along with my original submission package, I had sent two Fedex Return Labels - One for return of Passport and the Second for sending the OCI card.

They also sent back the second Fedex Return Label. This second label was to be used to send the OCI card back to me. I was also returned the $15 Money Order.

I find it strange that they returned the second return label with this one instead of keeping it on their side and using it to send the OCI card back.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X