No announcement yet.

OCI application - US passport return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Donald_Trump sinnerman26, When I got my passport back - they used the return label that was supposed to be used for OCI. They also sent back $15 MO. I'll have wait and see what happens when the card arrives (hopefully in another 2-3 weeks). I am hoping - they will contact me to pay for the shipping (again). It looks like now they have fixed the process (based on other posts). They accept $45 online unlike our case where they accepted only $30 online.

Comment

Originally posted by Donald_Trump View Post
      sinnerman26 Good you got your passport. But the other part is strange. So I paid by credit card and bought shipping from them by paying $30 online (part of the total invoice) and then as per instructions had sent the $15 money order (That amounts to a total of $45 worth of shipping). I used 1 label for sending my packet. They used the other shipping label that I had sent them to send my US passport back. They however, didn't send back my $15 money order so I am assuming they will use that $15 to send my OCI card.

Right, so I looked at the billing and looks like I paid $45 as well. $30 in the form of credit card payment online and the $15 Money Order that I had sent to them. However, now that they have sent me back both the Money Order and the unused return label, what are they going to use the send the OCI card? Unless they are able to print off the label themselves when the OCI card arrives.

Comment

Originally posted by nshalady View Post
        Donald_Trump sinnerman26, When I got my passport back - they used the return label that was supposed to be used for OCI. They also sent back $15 MO. I'll have wait and see what happens when the card arrives (hopefully in another 2-3 weeks). I am hoping - they will contact me to pay for the shipping (again). It looks like now they have fixed the process (based on other posts). They accept $45 online unlike our case where they accepted only $30 online.
        What did they do to the return label that was meant to be for the passport then? If they kept it then they will probably use that to send your OCI.

Comment

sinnerman26 Hmm, what label did VFS use to send your passport? Check if it's the copy of the same label that they returned you. Basically, it could just be a copy that they printed from their system and sent back the 1 that you printed. They have already charged you $30 on your card so they got payment for 2 way shipping. The only thing is the 3rd shipping.

Now, I don't know if VFS goofed up here but they may ask you to pay for the OCI shipping later on. I guess, VFS has updated their system now to include 3 way shipping while you submit the application where they charge $45 instead of $30 earlier and there is no need for the extra $15 money order now.

nshalady - Yes, they used the shipping label I had sent for returning my US passport too. However, they didn't return my $15 money order as many other applicants including you and sinnerman have reported. So I am assuming, I am all set. (My location is Houston).

Originally posted by sinnerman26 View Post

Right, so I looked at the billing and looks like I paid $45 as well. $30 in the form of credit card payment online and the $15 Money Order that I had sent to them. However, now that they have sent me back both the Money Order and the unused return label, what are they going to use the send the OCI card? Unless they are able to print off the label themselves when the OCI card arrives.
          Last edited by Donald_Trump; 01-12-2021, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Donald_Trump View Post
            sinnerman26 Hmm, what label did VFS use to send your passport? Check if it's the copy of the same label that they returned you. Basically, it could just be a copy that they printed from their system and sent back the 1 that you printed. They have already charged you $30 on your card so they got payment for 2 way shipping. The only thing is the 3rd shipping.

Now, I don't know if VFS goofed up here but they may ask you to pay for the OCI shipping later on. I guess, VFS has updated their system now to include 3 way shipping while you submit the application where they charge $45 instead of $30 earlier and there is no need for the extra $15 money order now.

So I think I made a mistake earlier when I mentioned that they charged me $30 for the courier services and I had sent the $15 Money Order. On a second take, they actually charged $45 for the 3 labels. Here's the breakdown of the billing:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Billing Details.JPG
Views:	1243
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	751310
            As part of the online submission, 3 labels were created:
            1st label: From Me to VFS
            2nd label: From VFS to Me (For Passport Return)
            3rd label: From VFS to Me (For OCI)

They returned the US passport back to me using an envelope with the 2nd label. Included in this envelope was the $15 Money Order, US passport, 1 photograph, and the 3rd label(different tracking number).

I am assuming that they will print the 3rd label themselves when the OCI card arrives instead of using the label copy that I had provided them.

Comment

sinnerman26 Ok, now it makes sense - VFS had already charged you $15 extra for the 3rd shipping. May be you didn't check the invoice before you sent the $15 money order!

In my case, VFS didn't charge $15 for 3rd shipping and hence they kept my $15 money order while yours and other applicants like nshalady were returned!

Comment

I got the following response from the VFS Application Centre today. This was from the actual VFS Chicago center and not the VFS Helpdesk that sends unhelpful responses:

"You have paid $45 for 3 ways courier services (1 used to mail your documents to us, 2nd to return your US passport and 3rd will be used to return your OCI card -we will generate the 3rd label once we receive the OCI card).

Best regards,
                -------
                India Consular Application Centre
                Chicago
                "

I had actually gotten the Money Order before I even paid VFS through credit card as that was listed on the checklist and never realized that the payment was included.

Comment

Hi,

I have been waiting for my sons New OCI for over a month now..

Today I got an email from VFS to make an online payment of $15 for the courier service. Does it mean I will get my oci card in a while. Initially I paid only $30 for the shipping expense.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by vivekgovind View Post
                    Hi,

I have been waiting for my sons New OCI for over a month now..

Today I got an email from VFS to make an online payment of $15 for the courier service. Does it mean I will get my oci card in a while. Initially I paid only $30 for the shipping expense.

Thanks
                    $15 is for you to VFS. The other $15 & the label you sent is for US passport return. Then another $15 is needed for OCI card. Now they charge $45 for shipping and include everything but before they used to charge $30 and we had to send $15 money order for return of US PP.

Comment

Hello, I got the below notification from VFS on Jan 19th and haven't received my US passport back yet. Neither do I see any update when I track the FedEx return labels. Sent an email to VFS 4 days ago and no response. Reading all your previous responses, it appears that the US passport is returned at least within 4-5 days after the below notification is sent. Any suggestions?

"Your Application has been ‘Processed’ at the VFS India Consular application Centre and currently is ‘In-Transit‘ to the Embassy of India/Consulate General of India for decision making."

Comment

Originally posted by KA_2020 View Post
                        Hello, I got the below notification from VFS on Jan 19th and haven't received my US passport back yet. Neither do I see any update when I track the FedEx return labels. Sent an email to VFS 4 days ago and no response. Reading all your previous responses, it appears that the US passport is returned at least within 4-5 days after the below notification is sent. Any suggestions?

"Your Application has been ‘Processed’ at the VFS India Consular application Centre and currently is ‘In-Transit‘ to the Embassy of India/Consulate General of India for decision making."
                        If you got that email, your passport should have been returned. There is no email for return of US PP.

Comment

Originally posted by Jot18 View Post

If you got that email, your passport should have been returned. There is no email for return of US PP.
                          This is stressing me out. I hope they have not lost my US passport.

Comment

This is stressing me out. I hope they have not lost my US passport.
                            I got that email on dec 23 and PP delivered same day.

Comment

Originally posted by Jot18 View Post

I got that email on dec 23 and PP delivered same day.
                              I might try calling them. Hopefully will get some answer before they start charging me. btw, did they use the return label you sent them? My return labels have no update which made me think that they havent shipped it yet

Comment

In some locations, it can take over a week from that notification to get US passport back. You should expect the passport sometime this week. Don't worry.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                                X