Renunciation and oci help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renunciation and oci help

I applied for my renunciation and OCI at the same time. I sent in the renunciation certificate and the surrender certificate from the Govt of India website. I printed the latter and sent fees along with all documents, my US passport and my old Indian passport from 1988.

The VFS website STILL says renunciation certificate missing even though it was sent in on January 4th and received by VFS.

My US passport and canceled Indian passport was returned to me via fedex by VFS two weeks later about January 20th

Since my US passport and old Indian passport was returned to me, does that mean my OCI application has moved to the next stage.
    What happens from here. Can someone fill me in as to what is the process to get the OCI card. This whole process is so confusing and I have no idea what to expect next.

Help!

Originally posted by GANGAKISI View Post
    I applied for my renunciation and OCI at the same time. I sent in the renunciation certificate and the surrender certificate from the Govt of India website. I printed the latter and sent fees along with all documents, my US passport and my old Indian passport from 1988.

The VFS website STILL says renunciation certificate missing even though it was sent in on January 4th and received by VFS.

My US passport and canceled Indian passport was returned to me via fedex by VFS two weeks later about January 20th

Since my US passport and old Indian passport was returned to me, does that mean my OCI application has moved to the next stage.
    What happens from here. Can someone fill me in as to what is the process to get the OCI card. This whole process is so confusing and I have no idea what to expect next.

Help!
    You can't apply for renunciation and OCI together. If you received your India passport back with a stamp "passport canceled due to acquiring foreign nationality" send a copy of that or send a copy of the renunciation certificate which you should have gotten in the mail. When the OCI application is forwarded to embassy they send an email.
    You may have sent the application for renunciation with the OCI application which is not a proof of renunciation. You must send the one with stamps on it.
    You can view others timeline here: https://www.immihelp.com/oci-tracker/

Comment

My Indian passport was sent back. It does not say cancelled due to acquiring foreign nationality.
      It was canceled in 1998 and I sent that to them. They returned it.

I have not received a copy of the renunciation certificate.
      The VFS website for OCI processing says renunciation certificate missing. I did send it to them along with the surrender certificate and their email requesting it and the surrender certificate.
      Who sends me a copy of the renunciation certificate? So lost on all of this.

Comment

Originally posted by GANGAKISI View Post
        My Indian passport was sent back. It does not say cancelled due to acquiring foreign nationality.
        It was canceled in 1998 and I sent that to them. They returned it.

I have not received a copy of the renunciation certificate.
        The VFS website for OCI processing says renunciation certificate missing. I did send it to them along with the surrender certificate and their email requesting it and the surrender certificate.
        Who sends me a copy of the renunciation certificate? So lost on all of this.
        So when you surrendered your passport, did you ever get a renunciation certificate with a stamp and signature on it? That is your surrender certificate. The surrender certificate you send with your application isn't valid until it is stamped. Recently I heard the certificates are printed in Delhi. It used to be a just form we sent, the consulate would stamp and send it back.

It should look something like this:

Comment

This is such a nightmare. I went to the government of India website and got a surrender certificate with ARN number. I paid VFS Renunciation fees and courier fees of $76.
          I received an application confirmation letter from VFS. VFS sent me a unique reference number for the renunciation. It begins with a USAS.
          However when I use that number and my date of birth, the website states invalid inputs.
          Does VFS have to send the renunciation certificate to the consulate or to Delhi? How would I know if VFS has sent it?
          I have received no status updates on the renunciation from VFS at all.
          How long does it take from sending all the documents to receiving a renunciation stamped certificate?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X