Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCI card for a US Citizen Minor Child

Hi All,

I started the OCI application process for my minor child who is a US Citizen and we both(mom and dad) still have Indian Passport. I also paid at VFS website and was going through the document checklist and noticed that Parent needs to provide Naturalization Proof/Certificate. Question is - Is OCI only for Naturalized Citizens? As PIO is no longer an option how can one get OCI if parent are still not naturalized? Maybe I should withdraw my application and wait till we both get naturalized? The PIO card my kid has expired, can i still travel on it as the deadline for PIO has been extended till Dec 2021? Please help.

The child should be eligible for OCI even if parents are not OCI holders. As a child whose both parent or one parent is of Indian origin, he/she should be eligible for OCI regardless of the parents' naturalization.

Comment

I believe the expiration for PIO was removed a long time ago (I think before OCI was started). They converted all PIO cards validity to life long. They even used to stamp the PIO cards as valid for lifelong at one point. You should be good with expired card - but I advice you to confirm that by sending an email to your local Indian consulate.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X