PIO Endorsement if Old US Passport is Lost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PIO Endorsement if Old US Passport is Lost

Hi, I lost my old US passport and had to get a new one. I now have to get this new passport number endorsed in my PIO card. However, all the consulates except for Houston require that the original be mailed in as well. I have submitted 37 queries on their website over the last two months and called every single day but haven't had any luck with a response.

Has anyone dealt with a similar situation? If yes, what did you do? Also, in case it matters, I live in Boston.

Your help is EXTREMELY appreciated! Thanks!

Do you have scans or photocopies of the front pages of the old passport?
    A copy of the application for a lost passport?

If I remember correctly on replacements for lost passports there's a notation on the last page (the Amendments & Endorsements page) to the effect of "This passport is a replacement for a lost or stolen passport..." or something like that. It won't give the number of the old one, but might at least document that you're not trying to put something over on them. I suspect you'd be best off heading down to the NY Consulate to handle it in person.

Lastly, make scans (scan them to PDFs or even take a good-quality digital photo) of your PIO card once it's been endorsed and new passport and email them to your web email account (or try Dropbox) so that, should this happen again, you'll have access to copies of the documents pretty much anywhere in the world. Do a couple photocopy sets for good measure. Good luck, and do post the results -- you're not the first person in this position.
    Last edited by curtdfw; 08-26-2010, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Results!

First of all, thank you curtdfw!

I thought I would report back on my experience at the consulate for the benefit of any others in my predicament.

Basically the only documentation I ended up needing was my current passport (original) and my current pio card (original). They didn't even ask for a photocopy of my old passport, but I had one so I volunteered it.

I got to the consulate at 9 and got in line for a "number." Once you have a number, you get in line in front of a freestanding desk for a person to direct you to the right place/ check your application. When I got to the desk (around 11 AM), I was asked to write my name and phone number in a little book. I gave the person my passport and pio and was asked whether I would like to pick them up at 2:30 or 4:30pm. I chose 2:30 and voila, by 3pm, I had everything back!

Hooray!

Comment

Congrats on a painless and successful consulate visit...

Comment

Need pio updated with new usa passport #. Old passport is stolen.

Need pio updated with new usa passport #.
          Old passport is stolen.
          I have photo copy of old passport.
          Can I get PIO updated by going in person to SFO?
          I understand this is now handled by travisa.
          Please reply asap. I am travelling to India in 2 weeks

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X