OCI information update for new US passport for child under 20 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCI information update for new US passport for child under 20 years

My son has an OCI. He is currently 12 years old and received a new US passport. His OCI sticker is on the old US passport. As per the new April 2021 guidelines, this information has to be updated on the OCI website and also a new photo, signature and passport copy uploaded (since he is not over 20 years). I went to the website and to the following section

- OCI Miscellaneous Services
    - Fill New Miscellaneous Application
    - Entered Passport Number, File No and Date of Birth

In the next screen I entered the new US passport information

After I hit submit, I didnt see any place to upload pictures, signature or passport copy. Also I didnt receive any email acknowledgement. Anyone else who has gone through the process and knows if thats how it works or are there some next steps after that?

Thanks in advance!

Just a quick update. I retried the process today. The previous attempt stopped early in the process. But this time, it worked and I was able to advance to Part A and Part B. In these steps they asked to upload the photo and signature picture. Then there was a series of questions to answers (most were a response of No). Finally, it asked to upload the passport copy. I completed this also. Only slightly confusing part in the final passport copy upload step is that there is a button called "Final Submit". When you click this, the button disappears. I think that is all but hard to tell without any confirmation message. You can also go in after you have completed Part A and Part B and use the other options to re-upload (if needed) the pictures or the passport copy. I dont know if I should expect a status email from the OCI services afterwards. But will post an update if I have any other notifications.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by jac2005 View Post
      Just a quick update. I retried the process today. The previous attempt stopped early in the process. But this time, it worked and I was able to advance to Part A and Part B. In these steps they asked to upload the photo and signature picture. Then there was a series of questions to answers (most were a response of No). Finally, it asked to upload the passport copy. I completed this also. Only slightly confusing part in the final passport copy upload step is that there is a button called "Final Submit". When you click this, the button disappears. I think that is all but hard to tell without any confirmation message. You can also go in after you have completed Part A and Part B and use the other options to re-upload (if needed) the pictures or the passport copy. I dont know if I should expect a status email from the OCI services afterwards. But will post an update if I have any other notifications.

Thanks!
      I had the same thing happened to me. I am using 'OCI Miscellaneous Services' to update my address. I didn't get anything as well like confirmation email, upload documents screen and all. There was only Exit button with the message on screen that said "Thanks for submission of your details. You file reference number is ............ Your request has been successfully submitted. You will get an email regarding your request."

You already retried the process, but I think I am not going to. I think they were making a lot of changes in the processes during the month of July and so I am guessing it's just some changes in the process. I am going to wait a few days and reach out to VFS, if I don't hear back from them.

Comment

Thanks for letting me know. For my son here were the steps
        - OCI Miscellaneous Services. Once there I selected "Passport Particulars Updation"
        - Next screen allowed to enter new Passport Number (titled: Enter latest Passport Numbner on which OCI(U-Visa) transferred*), Issue Place and Issue Date
        - Then next screen said "Till now you have successfully registered Part-A. After uploading photo and signature, you will be redirected to fill the Part B to complete the registration." Here I uploaded the new photo and signature
        - Then it said "Till now you have successfully registered Part-A, and have also uploaded Applicants Photo and Signature". There was a button for "Proceed to Part-B"
        - Part B asked a whole lot of questions regarding Citizenship Details (mostly No was the answer), Present Nationality Details & Other Details. There was a Submit button at the end that I clicked
        - It then asked me to upload supporting documents. Next screen had a dropdown for document type and it only had the option for Passport copy. I uploaded that
        - At the bottom of this page there was a button titled "Final Submit". When you click this button, the button disappears. But no message or confirmation after that. So wasn't sure if that was all or if there was more to do.

If you get any updates from VFS, please post.

Comment

Also I was doing the application directly on the GOI OCI site. I didnt see any option on the VFS site for Miscellaneous Services. I assume you were also updating in the same place?

Comment

HI, I was going through the same steps, as I was not clear if I need to get OCI reissued ( after age 50 but my OCI was issued after I had turned 20) So I am guessing the only thing I need is to use the gratis service

Misclenious Sevice -> update passport details ( set of 2 checkboxes ) I did part A and then Part B ( document upload). and then finally submit I get an email with conformation. No sure is there anything else I need to do.

when I go back and log in using passport/oci-card#/date of birth. select new application I see list as below.

View the Activity for which you are already seeking Miscellaneous
            1 USA **** **** 21 Passport Particulars Updation 19/JUL/2021 07:12:07 Initiated InProcess
            Can you try and check what you see?

Comment

My kid got a new passport last year at 19 yrs. Because of Covid and other issues I didn't get around to renewing the OCI. Then I found out about the new process and decided to wait for it. Now, my kid just turned 20 and I do not see the option for upload. So, they are going by DoB and looks like I will have to apply for re-issue after all - fine, no problems.

BUT, the system now allows only one service. We moved across states and I want to update the address along with the passport particulars, but it won't allow that.

Ok, I will just update the address online and then apply for the OCI re-issue. So submitted the address change info on July 17th and got a File Ref No. When I go back in it shows "Address Change" as "Initiated". Didn't get any confirmation email or anything.

After waiting 10 days, I decided to complete the passport update portion and see what happens, and the application generated still has the old address on it.

Not sure what to do. Should I just apply for the re-issue for passport particulars and add a cover letter asking them to update the address also?

Man, I really wish someone would actually test these Govt sites before unleashing them on the general public ????

Comment

Originally posted by dsinha77 View Post
                HI, I was going through the same steps, as I was not clear if I need to get OCI reissued ( after age 50 but my OCI was issued after I had turned 20) So I am guessing the only thing I need is to use the gratis service

Misclenious Sevice -> update passport details ( set of 2 checkboxes ) I did part A and then Part B ( document upload). and then finally submit I get an email with conformation. No sure is there anything else I need to do.

when I go back and log in using passport/oci-card#/date of birth. select new application I see list as below.

1 USA **** **** 21 Passport Particulars Updation 19/JUL/2021 07:12:07 Initiated InProcess
                You initiated application on July 19th? When did you get the email confirmation?

I did my application on July 25th, I never received email confirmation and I didn't have any place/option to upload documents. All I had was 'Exit' button.

This is what I see when I try to fill a new application.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot at Jul 27 16-24-50.png Views:	0 Size:	52.5 KB ID:	765963
                Last edited by d3si.h3art; 07-27-2021, 04:29 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by d3si.h3art View Post

You initiated application on July 19th? When did you get the email confirmation?

I did my application on July 25th, I never received email confirmation and I didn't have any place/option to upload documents. All I had was 'Exit' button.

Click image for larger version Name:	Screenshot at Jul 27 16-24-50.png Views:	0 Size:	52.5 KB ID:	765963
                  I did not get a confirmation email that my application is complete. the email said

===========================================================
                  "Thank you for completing Part-B of OCI- Application on 20/Jul/2021 16:22 IST .

Your File-number is USAC YYYY X for all future reference.

Please upload relevant documents as it is mandatory for complete OCI-registration. Please ignore if already uploaded.

This is a system generated email. Please do not reply on this email-id"

I have done them multiple times without any change. I upload the document without exiting application.
                  The staus says either "initiated" for address change "inProcess" for passport update
                  I think the system is new and not working correctly, It was rolled out mid-July. I am going to wait for some time and retry. Maybe they will fix the issues.

Comment

I did not get a confirmation email that my application is complete. the email said

"Thank you for completing Part-B of OCI- Application on 20/Jul/2021 16:22 IST .

Your File-number is USAC YYYY X for all future reference.

Please upload relevant documents as it is mandatory for complete OCI-registration. Please ignore if already uploaded.

This is a system generated email. Please do not reply on this email-id"

I have done them multiple times without any change. I upload the document without exiting application.
                    The staus says either "initiated" for address change "inProcess" for passport update
                    I think the system is new and not working correctly, It was rolled out mid-July. I am going to wait for some time and retry. Maybe they will fix the issues.
                    That's a confirmation email. You're good and just need to wait. I don't think you need to retry.

Comment

Originally posted by arkaa View Post
                      My kid got a new passport last year at 19 yrs. Because of Covid and other issues I didn't get around to renewing the OCI. Then I found out about the new process and decided to wait for it. Now, my kid just turned 20 and I do not see the option for upload. So, they are going by DoB and looks like I will have to apply for re-issue after all - fine, no problems.

BUT, the system now allows only one service. We moved across states and I want to update the address along with the passport particulars, but it won't allow that.

Ok, I will just update the address online and then apply for the OCI re-issue. So submitted the address change info on July 17th and got a File Ref No. When I go back in it shows "Address Change" as "Initiated". Didn't get any confirmation email or anything.

After waiting 10 days, I decided to complete the passport update portion and see what happens, and the application generated still has the old address on it.

Not sure what to do. Should I just apply for the re-issue for passport particulars and add a cover letter asking them to update the address also?

Man, I really wish someone would actually test these Govt sites before unleashing them on the general public ????
                      Yes, I have the same issue, my old passport # and old address in the printed application. I spend 1 hour with VFS, they were not much help. I have tried many options ( different browsers/cleaning cookies etc). The user interface is horrible application forms do not show dropdown value ( and then you get an error ).

My guess is this new changes are not working, This is so frustrating. but in my case, I don't need OCI renewal due to the relaxation of the law. so I am ok for now.

also you can't print the application for "gratis options" -> when trying the registration number I was getting " number does not belong to you" what a mess.

I

Comment

I did get an email after completing Part B. But there was no email after the final submit of the uploaded passport copy. Maybe this was teh same for you?

As you suggested, I tried to do a new OCI Misc Appl (vs resuming partially completed one). I also see the same information as you are seeing. Essentially says, "InProcess" under the User Action column. So I assume we are both identical except that my application was done a week later than you.

Comment

Click image for larger version Name:	Screenshot at Jul 27 16-24-50.png Views:	0 Size:	52.5 KB ID:	765963
                          Seems like we are all in the same boat. So lets update this thread as we get any new status.

Comment

Originally posted by jac2005 View Post

Seems like we are all in the same boat. So lets update this thread as we get any new status.
                            Finally, I am able to see the OCI status by entering details here - https://ociservices.gov.in/statusEnqury . I am getting "Your application is yet to be acknowledged by competent authorities." Can you check to see what you're getting, since you applied almost 7-10 days ahead of me?
                            Last edited by d3si.h3art; 07-29-2021, 11:50 AM. Reason: Forgot question mark

Comment

Finally, I am able to see the OCI status by entering details here - https://ociservices.gov.in/statusEnqury . I am getting "Your application is yet to be acknowledged by competent authorities." Can you check to see what you're getting, since you applied almost 7-10 days ahead of me?
                              I checked and mine said the same message. I actually applied just on 26-JUL. So I am actually later than you.

"Your application is yet to be acknowledged by competent authorities."

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X