OCI: Place of Birth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCI: Place of Birth

VFS okayed my OCI application with POB matching US passport (Not Indian Passport) but they put my wife's application on HOLD due to it not matching Indian Passport (matching USP).

CGISF instructions for this:
    PLACE OF BIRTH: City of birth on Govt. form must match with the place of birth stated in your passport. If place of birth on your passport is written as “INDIA” then both country and place of birth on Govt. form must be “INDIA” because place of birth is printed on OCI card.

Since Indian Passport is already cancelled and the above instruction does not mention specifically Indian Passport, I don't see an issue using US passport POB for OCI application.

In any case, make sure to use POB exactly as in your Indian Passport.

====as for the vfs and consulate====
    - pathetic instructions
    - inconsistent processing
    - typical lazy bums causing pain for community

I have escalated this to consulate general, mea

My application was put on hold for the same reason.

The sample govt form linked from vfs states "As per USA/foreign passport" for the section with place of birth. I filled the form consistent with that.
    I specifically followed the instructions on cgisf "common mistakes to avoid" My application was put on hold for avoiding that mistake.

bloxer, were you able to resolve it by sending the letter to consent to change/edit the place of birth as in the existing Indian Passport ? Did you just have to upload the letter, or also follow up with sending the physical letter through courier?
    Last edited by ceci1073; 08-06-2021, 10:11 AM. Reason: Link

Comment

Put as only "india"

Comment

Originally posted by bloxer View Post
        VFS okayed my OCI application with POB matching US passport (Not Indian Passport) but they put my wife's application on HOLD due to it not matching Indian Passport (matching USP).

CGISF instructions for this:
        PLACE OF BIRTH: City of birth on Govt. form must match with the place of birth stated in your passport. If place of birth on your passport is written as “INDIA” then both country and place of birth on Govt. form must be “INDIA” because place of birth is printed on OCI card.

Since Indian Passport is already cancelled and the above instruction does not mention specifically Indian Passport, I don't see an issue using US passport POB for OCI application. click speed test

In any case, make sure to use POB exactly as in your Indian Passport.

====as for the vfs and consulate====
        - pathetic instructions
        - inconsistent processing
        - typical lazy bums causing pain for community

I have escalated this to consulate general, mea

Did it work after putting India as place of birth?
        Last edited by kratosrules99; 08-09-2021, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by a2576 View Post
          My application was put on hold for the same reason.

The sample govt form linked from vfs states "As per USA/foreign passport" for the section with place of birth. I filled the form consistent with that.
          I specifically followed the instructions on cgisf "common mistakes to avoid" My application was put on hold for avoiding that mistake.

bloxer, were you able to resolve it by sending the letter to consent to change/edit the place of birth as in the existing Indian Passport ? Did you just have to upload the letter, or also follow up with sending the physical letter through courier?
          I uploaded doc copy to VFS website, also sent a physical copy. I also emailed the Consul General, SFO to fix their website and VFS instructions. VFS head contacted me and expedited my application without waiting for physical form to arrive (after looking at the uploaded copy), but they would still want the physical copy IMO for their record.

Consul also told me that they have recently updated their instruction to VFS about POB and require it to match Indian Passport and that VFS need to enforce that, so VFS is doing its duty. The problem is VFS did not update instructions and CGISF website does not still mention the new change, so we are on our own, so I posted this note here.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
            Put as only "india"
            "INDIA" is wrong answer. Put what is written in Indian Passport. But if your Indian Passport says "INDIA" only, then do that. US Passport will say "INDIA" that is wrong for this purpose and that is exactly what I did and that put my application on hold.

"INDIA" would have worked a month back, but since then Consulate has changed the POB verification instructions, we just don't know because instructions were not updated for us, VFS was informed.

Comment

Originally posted by kratosrules99 View Post

Did it work after putting India as place of birth?
              If your indian passport says "India" only, then use that, otherwise using "India or INDIA" will cause your application to go on hold. Thats exactly what happened to me.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X