Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCI Update after turning 50 years old

Hello,

I had a question regarding update of my OCI Card after turning 50 years old. My OCI Card was issued many years ago (age 40) and my passport was renewed in 2016. My OCI Card is associated with my previous expired passport. I turned 50 years old in July 2021. I understand that I will need to update my OCI card with my current passport since I recently turned 50. However, the new guidelines state that it should be updated within 3 months of receiving a new passport. I cannot comply with this since my passport was issued in 2016.

Should I still update now per the requirements or do I need to wait until my current passport expires in 4 years? I am thinking I should go ahead and update with my current passport but am concerned that they may have an issue since it is not within the required 3 month period even though it was impossible to do it since the requirements just came into effect in April 2021. I am afraid of getting rejected due to this technicality.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I assume you planned you can carry the old and new passports with the existing OCI when you travel to India until this new Apr 2021 rule came in. Probably many of us don't even care to look at this new rule until they turn 50. So, IMO I don't think there is any harm in trying to update the new passport for the existing OCI.

The rule says you have to update OCI after getting the new passport after turning 50. You have not renewed your passport after turning 50. You may be ok not to update the OCI with the new passport details. Anyways, post the outcome whichever you decide so others can help. Maybe someone had an experience with this situation and will answer this thread.

Comment

Thanks Liberty48 for the prompt reply. I shall try to update the new passport number online and will update the results.

Comment

Is there any govt website it says no need to reissue the OCI after getting new passport after age 50?

and

https://www.mea.gov.in/Portal/Countr..._Advisory_.pdf bullet# 3

stills stays you need a new OCI?

Comment

Originally posted by mak101 View Post
          Is there any govt website it says no need to reissue the OCI after getting new passport after age 50?

and

https://www.mea.gov.in/Portal/Countr..._Advisory_.pdf bullet# 3

stills stays you need a new OCI?
          Both documents you linked are the obsolete ones. The embassy site hasn't been updated and the other one is before the April 2021 change to the policy.

Just start the miscellaneous application for passport particulars. IF you need a re-issue, the system will tell you so. I just did 6 passports. 2 parents, one for me and wife, 2 kids. One child who is over 21 now automatically said I need the re-issuance.

You do need to enter your OCI and passport details and it should tell you what you need. In my opinion, bullet #3 is confusing.

More details here: https://www.immihelp.com/forum/india...e-new-passport

Comment

I just posted my experience at Mumbai Airport.
            The link below: from the govt's website says it all. No physical OCI required even after turning 50. Just have to update new information (including new passport details address etc) on the govt. website.

Despite this, on a recent trip to India (April 2022) Mumbai Airport departure still asked my why I didn't have a new Physical OCI card with new passport details.
            Bizzare isn't it ! So govt website says one thing, the Indian Consulate in the U.S. (NY in my case) also says the same but the immigration officials aren't educated on this. Unbelievable and annoying !!

Comment

Per your suggestion, I went ahead and updated my information on the Govt website. The emailed me an acknowledgement. We will see once it is done. However, I wanted to share some info that I learned while completing the submittal.

All the guidelines state that only new passport copy and updated photo will be required. When I went to submit it, I was surprised by all the additional information they needed. I needed to supply a signature, date of when I became a naturalized citizen, my last indian passport number that was renunciated. Luckily, I was able to dig up this info so I could enter it. It would have been nice if they had specified all this information in advance so I would be prepared.

Comment

Just providing an update - I just received an email (about 2 months after submittal online) that stated that "Updated details including your new passport number XXXXXXXXX have been taken on record."

I am assuming I should be fine until I get a new passport in 4 years. So, after getting a new passport in 4years I wonder if I need to get a new OCI card OR if I can just update online with the new passport similar to what I just did. I guess, I'll look into it in 4 years.

Thanks all for the guidance in this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by samverma View Post
                  Just providing an update - I just received an email (about 2 months after submittal online) that stated that "Updated details including your new passport number XXXXXXXXX have been taken on record."

I am assuming I should be fine until I get a new passport in 4 years. So, after getting a new passport in 4years I wonder if I need to get a new OCI card OR if I can just update online with the new passport similar to what I just did. I guess, I'll look into it in 4 years.

Thanks all for the guidance in this forum.
                  I received the same email. Unless something changes before I get my new passport, I will try the same update process.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                  X