Aadhar card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aadhar card

Hello. I have a USA passport. I changed my last name after getting a divorce and my US passport has my new last name. But the aadhar card that I got when I was in India has my old last name. I am planning on moving back to India this year. What is the process and documents necessary to get my last name changed on my aadhar card ?

The US passport (along with OCI) and the divorce decree should suffice to get that changed but since all of these are issues in the USA, not sure what the babus there would do.

Comment

Do not use your US (or foreign) passport for Aadhar. There is still a lack of clarity on that. Most Aadhar centers ask for Indian passport and do not accept OCI.

Best thing is to open a Bank account with your new name. SBI is good, but any bank should do. On the passbook they will attach your photo and that serves as identity and address proof.
      If possible, also get a Driver's license with your new name. If you have a US license, you can get an Indian license in a couple of days without any test. The agents at the local RTO will get it done for some commission. When I got it done, it cost me Rs 5,000/- total including all fees & 'other' expenses.

With these IDs, and your divorce decree, you can now get your Aadhar card updated. If you have your Birth Certificate & SSC/12th pass certificate,
      Once you get the revised Aadhar, get your PAN updated as well.

Comment

Thank you all for your advice🙏🏽. But to open bank account PAN and Aadhar is a must. I’m not sure what are the documents needed to get DL in India. I can take the Divorce decree and name change document obtained in USA But again not sure if they would accept that. Everything seems to boil down to Aadhar card. I just can’t understand why they make things so complicated there.

Comment

Originally posted by Tanuja69 View Post
          Thank you all for your advice🙏🏽. But to open bank account PAN and Aadhar is a must. I’m not sure what are the documents needed to get DL in India. I can take the Divorce decree and name change document obtained in USA But again not sure if they would accept that. Everything seems to boil down to Aadhar card. I just can’t understand why they make things so complicated there.
          Aadhar not needed for opening an NRO/NRE bank account. And once you get the passbook, the Aadhar center only looks at photo, name & address, for updating your record. Doesn't check if it is a regular savings or NRO/NRE Atleast that's how I got mine done.

DL does ask for Aadhar now. Didn't need it when I got it done a few years back, but as you said, they want Aadhar for everything now-a-days.

Comment

I just got back from India and renewed my DL last month. DL does NOT "need" Adhar. It is a "nice to have" to do faceless renewals etc.. You can absolutely get a DL there or renew one WITHOUT adhar but there is a catch. You have to appear in-person at the local RTO for a photo (in case of renewal) or more for new license. My friend re-did his license (his old one expired a long time ago) and he too did not have or use his adhar card. I paid Rs 900 to an agent to renew my recently expired DL (Nov 2022) and simply had to go in for a photo. The Rs 900 includes the renewal fees and the penalty of renewing after 30 days of expiration. No adhar needed or was asked for at any point.

I agree to NOT use the US Passport or OCI for adhar but there is a clause. If you reside in India for over 182 days on OCI, you are legally eligible to get Adhar based on your US Passport/OCI. My parents have that as they moved back with their OCI.
            Last edited by dvpatel; 02-24-2023, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Tanuja69, you only need one document to prove your name change. Do you have any of your old docs from India with your old name (pre-marriage) like PAN card or Voter ID card etc?

Documents to be submitted Full Name/First Name Change Request (Exception Cases)

The resident needs to submit the gazetted notification of their new name along with the documents that authenticate their old name with a photograph. In exceptional cases, prepare the following documents beforehand:
              • Divorce Decree
              • Adoption Certificate
              • A medical certificate is prescribed by Allopathic doctors in case the change of gender is done surgically.

Comment

Originally posted by dvpatel View Post
                Tanuja69, you only need one document to prove your name change. Do you have any of your old docs from India with your old name (pre-marriage) like PAN card or Voter ID card etc?

Documents to be submitted Full Name/First Name Change Request (Exception Cases)

The resident needs to submit the gazetted notification of their new name along with the documents that authenticate their old name with a photograph. In exceptional cases, prepare the following documents beforehand:
                • Divorce Decree
                • Adoption Certificate
                • A medical certificate is prescribed by Allopathic doctors in case the change of gender is done surgically.
                Ok, thanks. If I want to ask more, I will message here. I also want to change my last name on my adhar card.

Comment

Adhar card documents:
                  I have not submitted application for Adhar card all these years... because I have been bedridden with health issues and was homebound. Now that I have recovered, I am looking to apply for an Adhar card.
                  I have a valid driving license (which has my photo and current address). I also have my original birth certificate.
                  Are these two documents enough to get approved for issuance of an Adhar card?

Comment

Alright, many thanks. I'll message you here if I have any further questions. On my adhar card, I also want to modify my last name

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                    X