Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expired Passport - OCI valid?

Hi everyone,

I received my OCI a few years ago. My passport recently expired and I got a new passport. Will I need to renew my OCI? Or do I just need to submit my new passport information online? I am between the ages of 20 and 50.

I’ve read conflicting information so far and really looking for any clarification you can provide. Thanks in advance.

Was your original OCI issued after you turned 20? If yes, you just need to update the details. If not, then you need a reissuance. The OCI site will guide you of the process once you enter the details in the OCI portal under the Misc Information section.

Comment

If you obtained an OCI card a few years ago and your passport has expired, you will need to update your OCI card with the information from your new passport. You don't have to renew your OCI card itself, but you should update the OCI card with the details of your new passport. This can be done online through the official website of the Indian Ministry of Home Affairs.

This means that you cannot obtain an OCI card with an expired passport. The OCI card is linked to your valid passport, and you need to provide the passport details during the OCI application process. Therefore, your passport must be valid at the time of applying for an OCI card.
      If your passport has expired, don't worry, you can renew it online. For the necessary steps, check
      this guide, from an website specialized in Indian government documents.

The process for updating your OCI card with your new passport information involves submitting an application online and providing the necessary documents, such as your old and new passports, a photograph, and any other required documents. It's important to update your OCI card within 3 months of getting a new passport.

Since you mentioned that you are between the ages of 20 and 50, the OCI card is required to be reissued each time a new passport is obtained after completing 20 years of age until 50 years of age. After turning 50, the OCI card is required to be renewed only once after the issuance of a new passport.
      Last edited by phrecz; 08-25-2023, 06:49 PM.

Comment

You just need to update your current OCI with the new passport info. Also, VERY IMPORTANT, Keep your old passport with the OCI card as the airlines ask for both at the check-in counter. Happened to us. Thankfully, we were able to show the email confirming that we have updated our child's OCI with the new passport information.
        I know, its just another headache but your never know what documents they end up asking for at the port of entry (or at the airlines check-in)!

Comment

Originally posted by Sam255 View Post
          Hi everyone,

I received my OCI a few years ago. My passport recently expired and I got a new passport. Will I need to renew my OCI? Or do I just need to submit my new passport information online? I am between the ages of 20 and 50.

I’ve read conflicting information so far and really looking for any clarification you can provide. Thanks in advance.
          Will I need to renew my OCI?
          A: It is not clear when you received your last OCI. You say you are between 20 and 50. If you received your last physical OCI before 20, you must submit OCI miscellaneous service and get a new OCI. If you received your last OCI after turning 20, you must submit the OCI miscellaneous service, and once you update the information, you will receive an email saying your particulars are updated (which means the govt updated the new passport number on their systems)

Or do I just need to submit my new passport information online?
          A: See above

ps. Others gave you the same answer in a different way. I thought this would help you/others with some more clarification. Thanks to all those who respond and help in this forum.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X