No announcement yet.

Slight change in middle name - How to avoid issues during renunciation and OCI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slight change in middle name - How to avoid issues during renunciation and OCI

Hi,

My wife has slight change in the middle name between India and US Passports.

India Passport : <Surname> <Given Name> (Given Name has First Name and Middle Name). The Middle Name has 'Bhai' as suffix. For e.g. MiddleName as xxxxxBhai

US Passport: <LastName> <FirstName> <MiddleName>. The Middle Name do not have 'Bhai' as suffix. For e.g. MiddleName as xxxxx

The name in natrualization certificate and US Passports are exactly same. There was no court order or name change requested during naturalization process so there is no other suppportind documents.

Per VFS website, this slight change is also being consider as name change and they have suggested to submit a supporting document along with application. The applicable documents are (a) Court Order (b) Endorsement during Naturalization (c) Notarized Affidavit. However, there is no template shared about the affidavit.

Did anyone has similar issue for renunciation and OCI process and how was it got resolved? Is there any affidavit template available for this issue where only change in the middle name?

Do the OCI has name per US or Indian passport?

Thanks!

yes. the indian embassy treats this as a name change! (They rejected my renunciation initially because of it). To get around it, simply get a notarized statement addressed to the Consular office of CGI saying something like I hold US passport number xxxx and my full name is <first-name> <middle-name> <last-name> and I held Indian passport xxxx with name <first-name> <last-name>your middle name has been added to your US passport and stating that both <first-name> <last-name> and <first-name> <middle-name> <last-name> are indeed the same person. print that letter out and sign that in front of a notary and have the notary sign that too.

That worked for me!

Comment

Thank you jaydeepOR.

Do you know if OCI has name per US or India Passport?

Comment

it has to be whatever is in your US passport.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X