Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kids' OCIs (US citizens)--3 PIO holders, 2 not. Apply in India or US?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kids' OCIs (US citizens)--3 PIO holders, 2 not. Apply in India or US?

Hi, we are a family of seven living in India:

Husband--Indian citizen
    Wife--US citizen not of Indian origin, PIO cardholder
    DD1--US citizen, PIO holder, age 15
    DD2--US citizen, PIO holder, age 10
    DD3--US citizen, PIO holder, age 8
    DD4 and DS5--twins 6 months old born in India, US passport holders, no visa

We leave for the US for six weeks very soon, and my husband is off now at the SP applying for exit visas for twin and permission to leave for me and DDs 1-3.

To return to India, the baby twins will need either PIO, OCI, or visas. OCIs seem like the best way to go, and while we're at it, we thought about just (paying the outrageous fees! and) getting the older three DDs' OCI cards as well so that they don't have registration and expiration to deal with.

I looked into applying in the US thru Travisa vs applying thru Delhi. Looks like we would need proof of address to apply in the US, which we couldn't provide since we stay at my parents' place when we go to the States.

Shall I just, before leaving for the States, apply for all five children thru Delhi? Any reason not to do this? Will it be a problem in Delhi if the twins have only EXIT visas and it's obvious that we've left or are leaving the country? If it's better to use Travisa in the States, then what do we do about the proof of address? My driver's license has a PO Box listed--is there a way to get our names on my parents' utilities if we pay them over the summer or something?? Frustrating and confusing.

Regardless of where we apply, I assume that we'd have to wait until at least the twins' were granted to return to India. DD1 attends a boarding school in India and she has to be back there in early August, so she can't wait with us if we have to for the twins. If her OCI isn't finished, she can still use her passport and PIO to get back to India, I assume (traveling with someone), and then send her passport from there?

Anything I'm overlooking? Seems like there are so many tiny details that I'm worried I won't get everything done right.

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X