Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCI with Previous Criminal Conviction

Hello,
    I was born an Indian citizen and my whole family is Indian (Parents/Grandparents). I am soon to become a citizen of another country that doesent care about the following issues. My problem is that while in America for college, I made a bad decision and got into trouble with the law- was sentenced to, and served about 4 years in Prison there (for drug possession) and finally deported back home. Of course ive paid my debt to society, ive been out for awhile now and a changed man but ive still been dragging this old sin on my back for a few years.

Hence as a new start, foreign citizenship is attractive. Unfortunately, it is imperitive for me to able to take care of my aging parents who live in India-while maybe not full time, atleast be able to go back and forth at will (and often). As such I intend to apply for an OCI once I change nationalities. My concern is the part on the OCI application that asks one to disclose ones criminal history.

Does anybody know the chances that an OCI registration is rejected for criminal conduct? I know this would count for so called "adverse information" but how often do they actually deny OCI? Ive read the language of the act and it doesent say that it can be denied to eligable people (ie ex citizens of India) - it does say that it can be withdrawn if you commit a crime once its granted but of course that would not happen.
    Ive looked into PIO and that form doesent have that question- unfortunately it has to be renewed every 15 years.

The reason OCI looks more attractive to me is that the OCI card is essentially permanent whereas the PIO renewal can be rejected after 15 yrs and then im stuck permanently outside the country (id probably not be able to get a visa to India given the criminal history-nor do I want it up in the air).

Unfortunately I need to give up my Indian citizenship before I know if im guaranteed either PIO or OCI..

So does anybody have any ideas regarding what I should do, or info regarding the chances the OCI application can be rejected? I would probably NOT give up my indian citizenship (or take another countries citizenship) if it means I cant come back to India on a permanent basis should that be neccessary... So im in a quandary..

Any Ideas?
    I would VERY much appreciate any advice.
    Thanks in advance
    John

There are no guarantees.

It is up to the Indian government whether to give you OCI or PIO or not.
    Immihelp Support
    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X