Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Being considered for a job in San Francisco. Seeking some advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being considered for a job in San Francisco. Seeking some advice.

Hello.

I’m a 22-year-old guy from India and I am being considered for a job in San Francisco (near Market St).

The culture in India is vastly different from that of the United States and I am being advised by a lot of people in my family to not accept this position. I have lived with my parents my whole life and am admittedly quite scared of striking out on my own. On the other hand, the business I am in right now bores me to death and I have the opportunity to do something that I actually love and enjoy doing in San Francisco.

I am expecting to be offered around 60-65K for the position, which, after the 30% tax deduction, would come down to about 3.5K per month, I suspect (please feel free to correct me if I am wrong). Is that enough to live in an area not too far from Market St., lead a comfortable life and put some dollars in a savings account? Will I ever be able to afford the luxury of a car? Is 65K a year poor income?

Second question: My mother is very concerned about what I will do there and how I will live and cope. How do I expect to eat, not knowing how to cook for myself? Or wash my clothes, clean my place, etc. What will I do after I come home at 5:00 PM? Who will I talk to? What will I do on the weekends? Who will look after me, or earn for me, when I get sick?

These questions scare me because I do not know the answers to them. Do you guys have something to offer in the way of answers or advice?

Thanks in advance for any replies that get posted here.

65K is not a salary that you can live luxurious lifestyle with in San Francisco.

However, you can still leave a comfortable life, and yes, you can get the car etc.

Other social questions are valid from parents perspective. However, thousands of young Indians come to the U.S. all the time. What do you do with your life in India, other than with your parents? Of course, you will not have the same social comfort with relatives etc. in the U.S.
    Immihelp Support
    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X