Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Child is travelling to USA

Hi Everyone,
    I have a situation where I need your advise.
    My son is travelling to USA this December, his h4 has been stamped long back when I was in India. He has a valid visa.
    However, his passport is due to expiry in May 2017 which is less than 6 months from the date of travel.
    Kindly, suggest if it is ok to travel with the same passport and get it renewed here in USA or I need to renew the same in India.

Regards
    Naga

It's okay but he will only be admitted until the passport's expiry. He would then have to apply for Extension of Status in the US or leave and re-enter the US after he gets a new passport, in order to get a new period of admission.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Can the extension of status be done within USA?

Thanks for the quick response, Could the extension of status be done within USA or Do I need to travel with him out of country?

Regards
      Naga

Comment

Change of status means in the US. If he leaves the US he wouldn't need to change status anymore. Change of status costs several hundred dollars to apply for. It's much simpler for him to leave the country and then immediately re-enter, if that's not inconvenient.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post
          Change of status means in the US. If he leaves the US he wouldn't need to change status anymore. Change of status costs several hundred dollars to apply for. It's much simpler for him to leave the country and then immediately re-enter, if that's not inconvenient.
          Thanks a lot for timely response. Appreciate it.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X