Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visitors Visa After Surrendering Green Card

Hi Guys,
    Just wanted to find out if anyone has any experiences about applying for Visitors Visa after surrendering the Green Card..My mother Submitted I-407 form...My mothersTourist Visa got rejected in Mumbai even after surrendering her Green Card...If anyone has faced similar situation any information on this is really appreciated..We plan to apply again after couple months..
    Thanks to all you Guys in advance for replies..

Why did she surrender her GC?

Comment

Originally posted by peace999 View Post
      Why did she surrender her GC?
      She was planning a visit..She was here 14 years back...

Comment

Your post is not clear.
        Why did she give up her GC?

THis is important to understand for a visitor visa.

Comment

She surrendered as she was planning to apply for visitors visa. She is 75 years old. As she went for interview in Mumbai the VO asked her for her green card which was expired as she was here in 1999 last time as permanent resident. She submitted I-407 right there, surrendered her green card & still got rejected. May be it was due to her dual status as in the system. We are not sure as to why would it get rejected although her intentions are only to visit & not settle down. I was wondering if anyone had similar experiences thus thought I would get some more information here.
          Thanks for your replies..

Comment

Surrendering her GC is not significant. Since it is already expired for so many years and is of no value anyway.

The officers think she immigrated once, she can do it again ( change of circumstances).

In her case a visitor visa will be hard to get.

You can start a new I-130 process for her GC again, if she really wants to go to US.

Comment

Originally posted by peace999 View Post
              Surrendering her GC is not significant. Since it is already expired for so many years and is of no value anyway.

The officers think she immigrated once, she can do it again ( change of circumstances).

In her case a visitor visa will be hard to get.

You can start a new I-130 process for her GC again, if she really wants to go to US.
              I-130 will take at least three four years. We could have renewed her Green Card in four five months. We have to take chances to get visitors visa as the intent is just to visit her family & not immigrate.
              Thanks for Your Reply.

Comment

Originally posted by ebguy View Post
                I-130 will take at least three four years. We could have renewed her Green Card in four five months. We have to take chances to get visitors visa as the intent is just to visit her family & not immigrate.
                Thanks for Your Reply.
                * You said she was in US last in 1999. If she has been living in India for 13 years , her gc cannot be renewed in any way.
                The only way is to file an I -130 again.
                I believe a US citizen child filed for her immigrant visa. If you will do that again, it will be apprvoed in less than a year.
                IT DOES NOT TAKE 3-4 years.

*Visitor visa decisions are totally discretionary. She may not actually want to immigrate now, but the embassy thinks she immigrated once, so
                she has the potential. In their eyes, The filing of I-407, does not mean you do not have immigrant intent. Even if she did not file that,
                her GC was anyway finished.

Comment

Originally posted by ebguy View Post
                  Hi Guys,
                  Just wanted to find out if anyone has any experiences about applying for Visitors Visa after surrendering the Green Card..My mother Submitted I-407 form...My mothersTourist Visa got rejected in Mumbai even after surrendering her Green Card...If anyone has faced similar situation any information on this is really appreciated..We plan to apply again after couple months..
                  Thanks to all you Guys in advance for replies..
                  My dad had a similar situation back in Oct 2012, He is 75 years and widower, went to surrender the GC in Mumbai and was rejected on tourist visa. No reason was given to him on why it was rejected

He first immigrated to the US in 2008 staying for 7 months and then visited again in 2010 right after a year anniversary. So two times visit in the US, he has also visited Australia more than 4 times since my brother lives there.

Interviewers returned the GC and SSN card back to my Dad, according to my Dad the interviewer thought that my Dad is putting condition to surrender the GC only if they give the tourist visa -- (I don't know how true it can be to understand that way since my Dad did not put any condition).

Now after a year he is trying for visitors visa again, this time he is just going to surrender with I-407 and not make any impression that he has a condition or anything and then proceed for a tourist visa interview right after that.

Let me know if your mother finally got the tourist visa?

(FYI -- Recently I have a relative (Husband & Wife age 60 years) who surrendered the GC ( not expired but invalidated ) since they didn't return to the US in 2 years-- After surrendering the GC they were immediately granted the tourist visa which was a good news)
                  Last edited by jp123; 10-22-2013, 02:43 PM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                  X