Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-864 Help Needed - Sponsoring both parents

Hi,

I have sponsored both my parents for their green card and we are at “Submit Supporting Documents” Stage in the NVC Process. I am filling out I-864 and find it quite confusing. I am doing this on my own and I want to do this right the first time so I have a few questions

Back Ground: Two individual I-130s were submitted for my mother and father. They have two separate Case Numbers and Invoice Numbers from NVC

Question: Do I need to submit two separate I-864 for my mother and my father?

If yes to above, then lets use mother for example below

Question 1: Part 3 - Information on the Immigrants You Are Sponsoring (Please review attached example form that I filled out as I think I should)

(#1) Do I check #1 and leave number 2 alone? If this then Part 3 # 7 will be 1 (Number of immigrants you are sponsoring on this form) correct?
    OR
    (#2) Do I leave #1 lone and Check # 2 and list both my mother and father? They will be traveling at the same time i.e. within 6 months of each other If this then Part 3 # 7 will be 2 (Number of immigrants you are sponsoring on this form) correct?

Question 2: Part 5: Please review that attached example form to see its accurate

I am sponsoring both my parents (2)
    Self (1)
    Hubby (1)
    Our Daughter (1)
    Total 5

Question 3: Part 6 # 11. I am married and we file our taxes jointly. See attached example form. Does my husband need to fill I-864A?

Note: I have checked # 11 in attached form

Thanks for your help in advance

Click image for larger version

Name:	I-864_Parents_Example_Page_1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	591802Click image for larger version

Name:	I-864_Parents_Example_Page_2.jpg
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	591803Click image for larger version

Name:	I-864_Parents_Example_Page_3.jpg
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	591804Click image for larger version

Name:	I-864_Parents_Example_Page_4.jpg
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	591805Click image for larger version

Name:	I-864_Parents_Example_Page_5.jpg
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	591806

You need to be submitting separate I-864 packages for each parent. If being submitted at the same time, and the other is not yet in the States, your household count, for sponsorship purposes, can each exclude the other parent.

--Ray B

Originally posted by cbrkhan View Post
    Hi,

I have sponsored both my parents for their green card and we are at “Submit Supporting Documents” Stage in the NVC Process. I am filling out I-864 and find it quite confusing. I am doing this on my own and I want to do this right the first time so I have a few questions

Back Ground: Two individual I-130s were submitted for my mother and father. They have two separate Case Numbers and Invoice Numbers from NVC

Question: Do I need to submit two separate I-864 for my mother and my father?

If yes to above, then lets use mother for example below

Question 1: Part 3 - Information on the Immigrants You Are Sponsoring (Please review attached example form that I filled out as I think I should)

(#1) Do I check #1 and leave number 2 alone? If this then Part 3 # 7 will be 1 (Number of immigrants you are sponsoring on this form) correct?
    OR
    (#2) Do I leave #1 lone and Check # 2 and list both my mother and father? They will be traveling at the same time i.e. within 6 months of each other If this then Part 3 # 7 will be 2 (Number of immigrants you are sponsoring on this form) correct?

Question 2: Part 5: Please review that attached example form to see its accurate

I am sponsoring both my parents (2)
    Self (1)
    Hubby (1)
    Our Daughter (1)
    Total 5

Question 3: Part 6 # 11. I am married and we file our taxes jointly. See attached example form. Does my husband need to fill I-864A?

Note: I have checked # 11 in attached form

Thanks for your help in advance

[ATTACH]435[/ATTACH][ATTACH]436[/ATTACH][ATTACH]437[/ATTACH][ATTACH]438[/ATTACH][ATTACH]439[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by rayb View Post
      You need to be submitting separate I-864 packages for each parent. If being submitted at the same time, and the other is not yet in the States, your household count, for sponsorship purposes, can each exclude the other parent.

--Ray B
      Thanks Ray ... I will do separate I-864 for each parent.

How do I fill Page2 that is Part 3 of I-864? Do I check Part3 #2 and list each parent?

Comment

Check the "yes" box only and do not add any info about other family members below that.

--Ray B

Originally posted by cbrkhan View Post
        Thanks Ray ... I will do separate I-864 for each parent.

How do I fill Page2 that is Part 3 of I-864? Do I check Part3 #2 and list each parent?

Comment

I-864 - Part 3

Originally posted by rayb View Post
          Check the "yes" box only and do not add any info about other family members below that.

--Ray B
          Just to be clear, when sponsoring both parents for each parent on a individual I-864

Part 3 # 1 Check Yes

Part 2 # 2 Leave Blank

Please see screenshots below and please confirm

Click image for larger version

Name:	I-864_Parents_Example_Page_2_WRONG.jpg
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	590538Click image for larger version

Name:	I-864_Parents_Example_Page_2_RIGHT.jpg
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	590539

Comment

Same question!

Was wondering if you ever resolved the question regarding Part 3. Did you check #1 yes and leave #2 blank?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by stello View Post
              Was wondering if you ever resolved the question regarding Part 3. Did you check #1 yes and leave #2 blank?

Thanks!

I finally got around to finishing I-864.

Part 3 - #1 & #2 You check both

Those filing for both parents. You would do I-864 separately for each parent and not mention or count the other. Example, if you are filling for mother then in part3 you put mother in Family Member1 and that is it. You do not mention father in this one.

Part 3 # 7 becomes 1

Part 5 becomes your family size plus 1

Comment

cbrkhan, could you please clarify it one more time:

I sponsor my mother and my father. Click image for larger version

Name:	Question.jpg
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	590609

I say Yes on #1. And I don't checkmark #2, correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Eugene View Post

I sponsor my mother and my father. [ATTACH]679[/ATTACH]

correct

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

You need to be submitting separate I-864 sponsorship packages for each parent. The line item in question only refers to the applicant for whom this I-864 is intended, i.e., one parent.

-Ray B

Originally posted by Eugene View Post

I sponsor my mother and my father. [ATTACH]679[/ATTACH]

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                    X