Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is B1/B2 visa still valid on old passport after changing surname in my new Passport?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is B1/B2 visa still valid on old passport after changing surname in my new Passport?

Hi ,

I am applying for B1/B2 Visa and surname is blank in my Indian passport .
    consider my name is AAA and surname is BBB but in my passport Given name: AAA BBB and surname is blank . So , I am forced to fill my Full name AAA BBB in Surname and FNU as my first name in DS-160.
    But I am thinking if I will correct surname details next time when i apply for reissue of passport like given name : AAA and surname is BBB, Can I still travel using the VISA in my old passport which has AAA BBB in Surname and FNU as my first name as its valid for 10 years.

I am travelling in a month please let me know what should i do ASAP as I need to get my VISA before that.

Thanks
    MGC

I am sensing (but not sure) that your current visa will be valid until the validity mentioned on it as your name is not completely different from old passport but, divided as first name and last name. So, you may carry both the passports and use the existing visa as usual.

Any how, it's better to contact your local US consulate and confirm, before making the travel arrangements.

If you can update the result, it will be helpful to other members, who are in the same situation.

This is my opinion, not a legal advice.

Comment

Thank you ideal sol, I will surely update as soon as i come to know about it. but could you please let me know how to contact US consulate?
      Any other people who are aware of such issues or faced it , plz respond.
      Last edited by mgc; 03-29-2015, 03:57 AM.

Comment

Where are you located?

Comment

Bangalore,India

Comment

If you have any questions about visas, you may send your inquiry to -

[email protected]

or call them at :
            91-120-484-4644 ,
            91-40-4625-8222.

Good luck.

This is my opinion, not a legal advice.

Comment

Hi Mgc,
              were you able to get any answers from consulate on this?

Comment

Different surname in the new passport

If your surname change is due to marriage, then you need to carry your marriage certificate with you along with you and present the same along with the old and new passports to the CBP officer.

Comment

Different surname in the new passport

Originally posted by svangala70 View Post
                  If your surname change is due to marriage, then you need to carry your marriage certificate with you along with you and present the same along with the old and new passports to the CBP officer.
                  Hi Mgc,

did you get any answer on this? I have similar issue..Please reply!

Thanks

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                  X