Marriage on B1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage on B1

I have a situation. I am on a B1 trying to get married to a US citizen whom i love dearly. I was on H1B in the US between May-Nov 2011 and have returned to the US to marry my man.
    I have not yet divorced my husband in India. Can I know how to go about it ?
    Last edited by tryingout; 04-03-2012, 03:28 AM.

Obviously you need to divorce your Indian husband first.

Comment

Originally posted by peace999 View Post
      Obviously you need to divorce your Indian husband first.
      He is not in the know and will not divorce. I heard that there are ways to get around it. any suggestions. Secondly , what happens if the authorities get to know of my first marriage after I get married and get a green card?

Comment

If you lie that you were never married to get a green card through this marriage,
        and if anyone reports you or the immigration people find out ,
        they will cancel your green card, for misrepresentation.
        And put you under immigration detention and deport you.

Advice; Do not do it without a proper divorce.
        Last edited by peace999; 04-04-2012, 02:09 AM.

Comment

What are the chances?

Originally posted by peace999 View Post
          If you lie that you were never married to get a green card through this marriage,
          and if anyone reports you or the immigration people find out ,
          they will cancel your green card, for misrepresentation.
          And put you under immigration detention and deport you.

Advice; Do not do it without a proper divorce.
          I heard a lot of cases getting away with it. As long as you pay taxes, they wont bother you! would like to learn from others experiences!

Comment

Are you really looking for advice? Or would prefer for us to tell you to go ahead and have fun ?

If you're looking for advice - one of the questions on I485 is "do you plan to practice poligamy in the United States?" - your answer to that question would need to be YES, as you will be married to two husbands at the same time. And if you do so, forget about adjusting your status to a permanent resident.

If you answer NO (ie: if you lie), you're commiting a federal crime - not only your status can be revoked, but you can go to jail. And your "new" husband would be accessory to a crime - so he may also end in jail too.

In short: sort out your previous marriage before thinking about marrying again. Or don't - and be prepared to face the consequences. I hear jail is lovely this time of the year . . .

Comment

Originally posted by mickey_mouse View Post
              Are you really looking for advice? Or would prefer for us to tell you to go ahead and have fun ?

If you're looking for advice - one of the questions on I485 is "do you plan to practice poligamy in the United States?" - your answer to that question would need to be YES, as you will be married to two husbands at the same time. And if you do so, forget about adjusting your status to a permanent resident.

If you answer NO (ie: if you lie), you're commiting a federal crime - not only your status can be revoked, but you can go to jail. And your "new" husband would be accessory to a crime - so he may also end in jail too.

In short: sort out your previous marriage before thinking about marrying again. Or don't - and be prepared to face the consequences. I hear jail is lovely this time of the year . . .
              But it seems to be happening all over Sacramento. So whats new?
              Can I get a conditional Green Card in the meantime with my US husband sponsoring one?
              Last edited by tryingout; 04-06-2012, 01:30 PM.

Comment

I don't know what happens "all over Sacramento" and I don't know "what is news" - nor I care. You came here for free advice from non-lawyers. That's what you got. Feel free to ask an immigration lawyer now - see if his/her answer differs.

Just because "everyone else" lacks moral fiber and likes to break the law, doesn't mean you should follow their example. I'm a bit concerned we have to explain to an adult the concepts of morality and law.

And you should probably remember that sooner or later your "other" husband will find out you married again . . . and he would then have a strong motive to contact the USCIS about you.

In any case - no, you can't get any kind of greencard in your situation. Unless you want to try and apply for asylum/refugee - but you have no leg to stand on, besides "my husband doesn't want to divorce me, so I would like to do this before breaking the law"

And that's the crux of the matter.

Make sure you tell your "US husband" what you're doing, if he doesn't know already. Me, I would be wary - you're so willing to break the law, I shudder to think what may happen in the future. You're looking at a slippery slope - stop now and do the right thing. Anything that starts with a lie, and a crime, cannot end well.

Comment

Originally posted by mickey_mouse View Post
                  I don't know what happens "all over Sacramento" and I don't know "what is news" - nor I care. You came here for free advice from non-lawyers. That's what you got. Feel free to ask an immigration lawyer now - see if his/her answer differs.

Just because "everyone else" lacks moral fiber and likes to break the law, doesn't mean you should follow their example. I'm a bit concerned we have to explain to an adult the concepts of morality and law.

And you should probably remember that sooner or later your "other" husband will find out you married again . . . and he would then have a strong motive to contact the USCIS about you.

In any case - no, you can't get any kind of greencard in your situation. Unless you want to try and apply for asylum/refugee - but you have no leg to stand on, besides "my husband doesn't want to divorce me, so I would like to do this before breaking the law"

And that's the crux of the matter.

Make sure you tell your "US husband" what you're doing, if he doesn't know already. Me, I would be wary - you're so willing to break the law, I shudder to think what may happen in the future. You're looking at a slippery slope - stop now and do the right thing. Anything that starts with a lie, and a crime, cannot end well.
                  Is there away I can annul the marriage from the US without having to go to India or take my husband's consent? It will help me solve the issue without too much of hassle.
                  BTW, I am a mature woman of 41 and have two kids from husband, 18 and 15! I know what I want in my life and have no plans to go to prison!

Comment

Can I apply to marry my US boy friend under K1?

Originally posted by tryingout View Post
                    Is there away I can annul the marriage from the US without having to go to India or take my husband's consent? It will help me solve the issue without too much of hassle.
                    BTW, I am a mature woman of 41 and have two kids from husband, 18 and 15! I know what I want in my life and have no plans to go to prison!
                    Can I my marry my US boy friend through a K1 Visa? What are the challenges?

Comment

No chance

Perhaps the others in this thread were not clear enough for you!

Let me put it in simpler words so that maybe you get the message.

Polygamy is against the law. You break the law, you go to jail!

USCIS does its homework. You really think they will overlook your case?

Break the law---------> JAIL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by thnos View Post
                        Perhaps the others in this thread were not clear enough for you!

Let me put it in simpler words so that maybe you get the message.

Polygamy is against the law. You break the law, you go to jail!

USCIS does its homework. You really think they will overlook your case?

Break the law---------> JAIL!!!
                        Thanks! Will find a work around!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                        X