Need help with naturalization eligibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with naturalization eligibility

Hi, my aunt sponsored green card for my dad and I got the same through him in 2007 as I was less than 21 years old at that time. In 2007, We stayed in the states for 1.5 months. I also applied for a re-entry permit at that time which was good for 2 years. I did this as I was studying in India.

I got the re-entry permit approved in 2008 and so it was good till 2010. I visited the USA briefly in February of 2010 to keep my green card valid. Finally I came to the US in February 2011 and have since been working here as of today (March 06, 2014).

My question is when will I be eligible for applying for naturalization?

November 2015 is the first date you can apply, with any certainty of acceptance.

--Ray B

Originally posted by hardikorama View Post
    Hi, my aunt sponsored green card for my dad and I got the same through him in 2007 as I was less than 21 years old at that time. In 2007, We stayed in the states for 1.5 months. I also applied for a re-entry permit at that time which was good for 2 years. I did this as I was studying in India.

I got the re-entry permit approved in 2008 and so it was good till 2010. I visited the USA briefly in February of 2010 to keep my green card valid. Finally I came to the US in February 2011 and have since been working here as of today (March 06, 2014).

My question is when will I be eligible for applying for naturalization?

Comment

Originally posted by rayb View Post
      November 2015 is the first date you can apply, with any certainty of acceptance.

--Ray B
      Thank you. So its 4 years and 9 months from the time of entry, correct? I am only confirming since I got this info from another source as well.

Comment

There are some variations to that formula ("time of reentry after extended stays outside the U.S."). But since you were out for extended periods, the November 2015 date I suggested is pretty much a sure thing, unless you decide to take off for another 7 months or longer.

The "4 years and 9 months" is the normal timeframe to establish or reestablish the "continuous residency" requirement, unless married to a U.S. citizen or Active Duty U.S. military.

--Ray B

Originally posted by hardikorama View Post
        Thank you. So its 4 years and 9 months from the time of entry, correct? I am only confirming since I got this info from another source as well.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X