Oath- Child (minor) returning green card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oath- Child (minor) returning green card

We (me & my wife) are scheduled for oath ceremony in next few weeks. I know that we have to return our actual green cards at the ceremony to receive the certificate of naturalization. I'm also aware that a minor child becomes automatically citizen through their parents' naturalization. My question is do we have to return our son's green card also at the oath ceremony. Does he (13 year old) have to be present at our oath ceremony? Nothing is mentioned on the letter.

Eventually we plan to apply for his certificate of citizenship (through N-600). Looks like they only request a copy of the child's green card at that time. So, when actually I need to return my son's green card?
    Thanks for your kind response.

The child has nothing to do with the Naturalization oath ceremony for the parents. His derivative citizenship is simply based on a parent being naturalized, after which you can apply for the child's U.S. passport and/or citizenship certificate.

--Ray B

Originally posted by US-Citizen View Post
    We (me & my wife) are scheduled for oath ceremony in next few weeks. I know that we have to return our actual green cards at the ceremony to receive the certificate of naturalization. I'm also aware that a minor child becomes automatically citizen through their parents' naturalization. My question is do we have to return our son's green card also at the oath ceremony. Does he (13 year old) have to be present at our oath ceremony? Nothing is mentioned on the letter.

Eventually we plan to apply for his certificate of citizenship (through N-600). Looks like they only request a copy of the child's green card at that time. So, when actually I need to return my son's green card?
    Thanks for your kind response.

Comment

Originally posted by rayb View Post
      The child has nothing to do with the Naturalization oath ceremony for the parents. His derivative citizenship is simply based on a parent being naturalized, after which you can apply for the child's U.S. passport and/or citizenship certificate.

--Ray B
      Thanks, Ray B for your reply. But when does my son need to return his green card?

Comment

Kids certificate of citizenship without original green card

Hi: Hi :

could you please tell me if they asked you for your kids original green card before issuing CoC? If someone doesn't have kids original GC because DoS kept it while issuing US Passport, would uscis issue CoC?

Comment

Originally posted by ash251 View Post
          Hi: Hi :

could you please tell me if they asked you for your kids original green card before issuing CoC? If someone doesn't have kids original GC because DoS kept it while issuing US Passport, would uscis issue CoC?
          The green card of your kid will be taken by the passport application agency and sent to the passport office. Theoretically they are supposed to send it to the USCIS. But strangely my daughter got her passport and a letter stating that the Green card will NOT be returned, and get this, her green card (mutilated) enclosed in the same envelope !!!
          Go figure....

Comment

Originally posted by narayanak View Post
            The green card of your kid will be taken by the passport application agency and sent to the passport office. Theoretically they are supposed to send it to the USCIS. But strangely my daughter got her passport and a letter stating that the Green card will NOT be returned, and get this, her green card (mutilated) enclosed in the same envelope !!!
            Go figure....
            That is so odd. What do you mean by mutilated - was it bent, cut, scratched out?
            Do you have any idea - if you later need to submit it to USCIS for a CoC, how does that work?

Comment

Originally posted by lilsweetie View Post
              That is so odd. What do you mean by mutilated - was it bent, cut, scratched out?
              Do you have any idea - if you later need to submit it to USCIS for a CoC, how does that work?
              They cut the top left edge. I am going to write a letter to the State Department in this regard.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X