Derivative Naturalization For Child

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Derivative Naturalization For Child

Finally! I am about to go for my Oath ceremony at the end of September after waiting a long and grueling 7 months from my initial interview. I have a wife and child who are currently in India. They are both LPR's but have been out of country for about 8 months. I had a question about derivative naturalization for my daughter who was born in India in 2012 and received her GC on arrival. Basically wondering if I would need to file an N600 as I noticed on the USCIS website that Derivative Naturalization is automatic but it does not clearly state whether or not the form is required. Does this mean that I wouldn't need to file the N600 on her behalf? If this is the case how would determine that she has become a Citizen so that I can apply for her U.S. Passport?

If your child is back in the U.S., you can apply for her U.S. passport by submitting the passport application, both birth certs, copy of her Green Card and your ORIGINAL NATURALIZATION CERT. There is no requirement that you submit the N-600 for her Citizenship Certificate, but it is a good idea. Your daughter must be in the U.S. before she can apply for a U.S. passport.

--Ray B

Originally posted by rmp1229 View Post
    Finally! I am about to go for my Oath ceremony at the end of September after waiting a long and grueling 7 months from my initial interview. I have a wife and child who are currently in India. They are both LPR's but have been out of country for about 8 months. I had a question about derivative naturalization for my daughter who was born in India in 2012 and received her GC on arrival. Basically wondering if I would need to file an N600 as I noticed on the USCIS website that Derivative Naturalization is automatic but it does not clearly state whether or not the form is required. Does this mean that I wouldn't need to file the N600 on her behalf? If this is the case how would determine that she has become a Citizen so that I can apply for her U.S. Passport?

Comment

Originally posted by rayb View Post
      If your child is back in the U.S., you can apply for her U.S. passport by submitting the passport application, both birth certs, copy of her Green Card and your ORIGINAL NATURALIZATION CERT. There is no requirement that you submit the N-600 for her Citizenship Certificate, but it is a good idea. Your daughter must be in the U.S. before she can apply for a U.S. passport.

--Ray B
      Thank you very much Ray for the response(that was fast!). I should have stated that she will be here in October. If you don't mind me asking, what is the benefit of filing the N-600 in this scenario? I am assuming the benefit would be that we would receive the physical certificate, but if I apply for her passport wouldn't that be considered the same thing?

Comment

A U.S. passport is proof of U.S. citizenship.

The Citizenship Certificate, however, from an N-600 application, is proof of "How" the citizenship was required. I've done some procedures for people with U.S. passports, but who were born in other countries, and who did not know how they acquired U.S. citizenship.

-Ray B

Thank you very much Ray for the response(that was fast!). I should have stated that she will be here in October. If you don't mind me asking, what is the benefit of filing the N-600 in this scenario? I am assuming the benefit would be that we would receive the physical certificate, but if I apply for her passport wouldn't that be considered the same thing?

Comment

Thanks Ray. Following up...I have finally become a US Citizen! I can literally smell the freedom.

In any case, not sure if you would be able to provide insight - Can I file an N600 while my daughter is in India or would she have to be here physically? She has been out of the US for approx 10 months on her GC. Would she need to be here before the year is up to maintain GC(basically does she need the GC anymore)?

Comment

Get her back to the U.S., then apply for a U.S. passport for her. You would have to submit the N-600 while she is in the U.S., but he passport application is a better first step.

--Ray B

Thanks Ray. Following up...I have finally become a US Citizen! I can literally smell the freedom.

In any case, not sure if you would be able to provide insight - Can I file an N600 while my daughter is in India or would she have to be here physically? She has been out of the US for approx 10 months on her GC. Would she need to be here before the year is up to maintain GC(basically does she need the GC anymore)?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X