USCIS N-400 requirements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USCIS N-400 requirements

In order to apply for citizenship, what is the requirement for validity of greencard? Is it 6 months? I have 2.5 months validity and will I be able to apply for citizenship?

Appreciate a quick response!
    Thanks and regards,

You need to apply for renewal of your Green Card and include the I-90 receipt with your N-400 application submittal. Otherwise, you will be out of status and will have your N-400 rejected and returned (or maybe denied and lose your $680).

--Ray B

Originally posted by rameshsrao View Post
    In order to apply for citizenship, what is the requirement for validity of greencard? Is it 6 months? I have 2.5 months validity and will I be able to apply for citizenship?

Thanks and regards,

Comment

Originally posted by rameshsrao View Post

Thanks and regards,
      Rameshrao...with all due respect to Ray who answers a lot of questions on this board...you DO NOT NEED to worry about your green card expiration date. I assume your 10 year green card expires in 2.5 months??....is that what you mean by "validity
      ?? If that is the case then it is just fine. In my case ; the green card had a few months left when I sent out the N-400, and had expired after which I received the acceptance and oath ; it absolutely did not matter. You can call USCIS and ask them the same question and I'm sure you will get the same response I just posted.

In short...you do not need to waste $ 450 for renewing your green card, while submitting your application for citizenship (N-400).

Good luck.
      Last edited by vinniemak; 02-05-2015, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Vinnemak's advice sounds fine to me.

The one caveat to this plan, however, is if you do not have a copy of your Green Card, which would have been current when submitting the N-400, USCIS will ask for a receipt of your I-90 to replace a lost Green Card.

I guess the USCIS logic to this requirement is that the reviewer of your application must have proof in front of his face that a Green Card was available to you when applying for Naturalization.

As a sidebar, I've known of an experience when a spouse with a Conditional Green Card was a co-sponsor for one of her children. By the time the petition was being reviewed by USCIS, her Conditional Card had expired. She received an RFE for proof that her card had been renewed or a copy of the one-year extension receipt.

--Ray B

Originally posted by vinniemak View Post
        Rameshrao...with all due respect to Ray who answers a lot of questions on this board...you DO NOT NEED to worry about your green card expiration date. I assume your 10 year green card expires in 2.5 months??....is that what you mean by "validity
        ?? If that is the case then it is just fine. In my case ; the green card had a few months left when I sent out the N-400, and had expired after which I received the acceptance and oath ; it absolutely did not matter. You can call USCIS and ask them the same question and I'm sure you will get the same response I just posted.

In short...you do not need to waste $ 450 for renewing your green card, while submitting your application for citizenship (N-400).

Good luck.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X