Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traveling outside US - GC expired; n400 in process

hello

My green card expired Feb 2015. I applied for US citizenship in Nov 2014. I need to travel outside the US for 3 weeks in May 2015.

My N400 processing appears slower than normal. I got my finger prints done in December and there has been no updates in status since then. Friends on mine that applied after me have already had their interviews done.

My question is this:

What travel document do I need to enter US on my return? Can I apply for a i-131? Is it ok that I have not applied for a green card renewal? Any insight or advice anyone can offer is greatly appreciated.

thanks

With an expired Green Card, it would not be very smart to leave the U.S. and expect to be allowed back in.

Without a current Green Card reflecting legal Residency status, you are not eligible for an I-131 Reentry Permit.

When you are called for your Naturalization interview, it's hard to say what the interviewer's reaction would be by your expired Residency status.

Had it been expired when you submitted the N-400, you would have been told that a receipt must be shown for a submitted I-90 to replace your Green Card.

Without a current Green Card at your Naturalization interview, you may be risking a Naturalization denial and loss of your $680 submittal fee.

My advice is to submit the $450 for a Green Card renewal and take the subsequent receipt for that fee to your Naturalization interview

Forget about leaving the U.S. in the meantime.

-Ray B

Originally posted by n400applicant123 View Post
    hello

My green card expired Feb 2015. I applied for US citizenship in Nov 2014. I need to travel outside the US for 3 weeks in May 2015.

My N400 processing appears slower than normal. I got my finger prints done in December and there has been no updates in status since then. Friends on mine that applied after me have already had their interviews done.

My question is this:

What travel document do I need to enter US on my return? Can I apply for a i-131? Is it ok that I have not applied for a green card renewal? Any insight or advice anyone can offer is greatly appreciated.

thanks

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X