Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another name change question

Hello everybody,

I've been reading this and other forums looking for similar cases, but I'm still not quite sure how to go about switching to my married name.

When I got married and applied for a Green Card I used my maiden name just because that was the name that appeared on all my documents...passport, driver's licence, bank accounts etc., so it seemed logical at the moment.
    Now I'm ready to file N-400, and if approved, I would like my US passport to be in my married name.
    Since the name on the Social Security card has to match the name on the Green Card, I couldn't get that changed, but I got a driver's licence in my married name, and with that was able to change my name on some minor accounts and documents.

So to recap: Right now I have my Social Security card, Green Card and Canadian passport under in maiden name, and my US Driver's Licence in my married name.
    Should I then put my married name as "your current legal name" and my maiden name as "your name exactly as it appears on your permanent resident card," or should I apply under my maiden name and request a name change?

Thanks and good luck to all.

Initially, when you filed your adjustment of status, and I-130, Forms, at that time, you should have used your married name. When someone gets married, that's enough proof of name change and everyone is expected, from that point onwards, to use their marriage.
    However, since you are just about applying for your N 400, this gives you another chance to use your married name.

At the beginning of your N-400 application, it asked to write your name, exactly as it appears on your Green Card. You have no choice, but to but there's also another section that ask if you want to change your name and to what. So there you go, you have another shot.

Once you are Naturalized, take that and change all other documents, currently bearing your maiden name. Good luck on your application for citizenship.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulita View Post
      Hello everybody,

I've been reading this and other forums looking for similar cases, but I'm still not quite sure how to go about switching to my married name.

When I got married and applied for a Green Card I used my maiden name just because that was the name that appeared on all my documents...passport, driver's licence, bank accounts etc., so it seemed logical at the moment.
      Now I'm ready to file N-400, and if approved, I would like my US passport to be in my married name.
      Since the name on the Social Security card has to match the name on the Green Card, I couldn't get that changed, but I got a driver's licence in my married name, and with that was able to change my name on some minor accounts and documents.

So to recap: Right now I have my Social Security card, Green Card and Canadian passport under in maiden name, and my US Driver's Licence in my married name.
      Should I then put my married name as "your current legal name" and my maiden name as "your name exactly as it appears on your permanent resident card," or should I apply under my maiden name and request a name change?

Thanks and good luck to all.
      You should put the name that appears on your green card. So apply under your maiden name and request a name change. But I think their ability to do the name change depends on where you are - when I filed my N-400, I requested a change for my middle name, then when I went to the interview the officer said that they couldn't do it there, and I would have to get my name changed through the courts, just the same as ordinarily. But give it a shot.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X