No announcement yet.

Name different on Green Card and social security while applying for citizenship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name different on Green Card and social security while applying for citizenship

Hi,

I am applying for citizenship and was filling out the n-400 application. Now currently the name on my green card was incorrect because they switched my first and last names but it was correct on my social security card. I got to know this recently when I went to change the address on my driver's license and they said you can just correct it at the time of applying for citizenship so that's what i am doing.

Now there is a section on the n-400 which asks my legal name as it is on my birth certificate (i entered my correct name here). Next section was name as it appears on my green card (i entered my incorrect name as it is on the green card). After this there are 2 sections which I am confused about:

1. Other names you have used since birth - do i need to write my correct name here as it was used before i got my green card ?

2. Name change - do i write my correct name here as i do want to legally correct my name but i'm not sure if legally changing the name is how i need to do it ?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

1. Other name used since birth, means the full name you received at birth. Example,. Say, when your parents named you, Zeesheemir Brown and you got married and your last name (mattied) is changed to Yellow. (Zeesheemir Yellow).
    You should put on that line Zeesheemir Brown, since it's the name u got after birth.
    If however, you have never married, you would just put the name you have now which would be the same name you got after birth.

2. Yes, this is where you put the name you want to use permanently.
    Good luck!!!!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X