Citizenship for Adopted Stepchild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Citizenship for Adopted Stepchild

Sorry, this may go in the adoption thread, which I will also post, but here's my question. (Hopefully someone can help out.)

I am 50 yr US citizen who has been abroad for the past seven years. I currently live in Hong Kong and am married to a Chinese (mainland) woman.

I recently adopted my stepson (her biological son), who is 11, in Hong Kong. He was born in New Zealand. He has been under my (our) custody for close to three years.

I would like get him US citizenship. I was told by USCIS to use form I-130, but I read on your on this site that if one can prove two years custody (which I can), that I could use form N-600K and process it while in the States.

Here's the link:

Any ideas of how I can navigate this process?

Thanks.

Please see my earlier response to you. I-130 or N-600 can either be used. But N-600 will require his entry with a visitor visa. My advise is to use the i-130 path.

-Ray B

Originally posted by Patrick McMahon View Post
    Sorry, this may go in the adoption thread, which I will also post, but here's my question. (Hopefully someone can help out.)

I am 50 yr US citizen who has been abroad for the past seven years. I currently live in Hong Kong and am married to a Chinese (mainland) woman.

I recently adopted my stepson (her biological son), who is 11, in Hong Kong. He was born in New Zealand. He has been under my (our) custody for close to three years.

I would like get him US citizenship. I was told by USCIS to use form I-130, but I read on your on this site that if one can prove two years custody (which I can), that I could use form N-600K and process it while in the States.

Here's the link:

Any ideas of how I can navigate this process?

Thanks.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X