Continuous residence question - Stayed out of US for 186 days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Continuous residence question - Stayed out of US for 186 days

Hi, I became a permanent resident on 11/23/2010 (Family sponsored). I once stayed out of US for 186 days(departed US on 12/22/2012 and returned on 06/26/2013). Will I be eligible to apply for citizenship this year. I complete 5 years of my green card at the end of this year. Before I left US on 12/22/2012, I had applied for a master's degree program at an American university. The master's program was suppose to start from August 2013. I did joined that university and completed the course in December of 2014. So I had no intention of abandoning my permanent residence. One lawyer I consulted told me that there is no chance and that she would not even take my case for processing. Apart from the above absence, I had a couple of other travel outside US for max 3-4 weeks.

Anyone who has faced this situation, please advise. Thank you. I look forward to advises, suggestions and tips.

It depends what you did and why you left for that 186 day period

Comment

I left for no specific reason. I planned to attend university from 2013 for which I had applied in 2012 before leaving US. So I just wanted to be with my family back home for that time period.

Originally posted by inadmissible View Post
      It depends what you did and why you left for that 186 day period

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X