Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I eligible for naturalization for citizenship?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I eligible for naturalization for citizenship?

Hello all,

I am planning to apply for naturalization some time this month. So I got my green card around end of May 2010, and I stayed in the US until mid June and went back to my country because I just graduated high school at that time. But I came back to the US for good in end of December 2010 for college, and I have lived here in the US continuously ever since then. I was looking up check list for naturalization, and it says if I took any trips outside the US for 6 months or more, I need to show proof that I will continue to live, work and keep ties to the US (eg. IRS, rent etc). A little confused here, so do I have to do that? Technically I've been away from June-Dec 2010 and that's 6 months. But I'm worried that I will be denied for my naturalization, or even worse get my green card taken away because of that. Does immigration have access to my flight record through the airline?

Any tips would be helpful! Thank you!

A single exit from the U.S. of 6 months or more does not warrant any USCIS detective work. Your passport entry/exit stamps will tell that story, and your honest responses on for N-400 will also provide that information to reviewers.

Provide some proof of continuing to have a U.S. domicile available to you while outside the U.S., and USCIS reviewers have discretionary authority to give you a pass on enforcing that trip as barrier to approval.

--Ray B

Originally posted by cherryarrow View Post
    Hello all,

I am planning to apply for naturalization some time this month. So I got my green card around end of May 2010, and I stayed in the US until mid June and went back to my country because I just graduated high school at that time. But I came back to the US for good in end of December 2010 for college, and I have lived here in the US continuously ever since then. I was looking up check list for naturalization, and it says if I took any trips outside the US for 6 months or more, I need to show proof that I will continue to live, work and keep ties to the US (eg. IRS, rent etc). A little confused here, so do I have to do that? Technically I've been away from June-Dec 2010 and that's 6 months. But I'm worried that I will be denied for my naturalization, or even worse get my green card taken away because of that. Does immigration have access to my flight record through the airline?

Any tips would be helpful! Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by rayb View Post
      A single exit from the U.S. of 6 months or more does not warrant any USCIS detective work. Your passport entry/exit stamps will tell that story, and your honest responses on for N-400 will also provide that information to reviewers.

Provide some proof of continuing to have a U.S. domicile available to you while outside the U.S., and USCIS reviewers have discretionary authority to give you a pass on enforcing that trip as barrier to approval.

--Ray B
      Thanks for your reply!

On the application itself it actually just asks where I have lived, and if I traveled over 6 months in the past 5 yrs. And I have lived continuously in the US in the past 5 years (Jan 2011-Jan 2016). Do you think I should still include additional info about my willingness of staying/living in the US in my application?

Comment

Your passport, and your N-400 application, should report you stay outside of the U.S. that was 6 months in duration. Just be prepared to explain it and to offer paper proof that you continued to have a home in the U.S.

--Ray B

Originally posted by cherryarrow View Post
        Thanks for your reply!

On the application itself it actually just asks where I have lived, and if I traveled over 6 months in the past 5 yrs. And I have lived continuously in the US in the past 5 years (Jan 2011-Jan 2016). Do you think I should still include additional info about my willingness of staying/living in the US in my application?

Comment

Originally posted by rayb View Post
          Your passport, and your N-400 application, should report you stay outside of the U.S. that was 6 months in duration. Just be prepared to explain it and to offer paper proof that you continued to have a home in the U.S.

--Ray B
          Actually in the checklist for the application it says "If you have taken any trip outside the United States that lasted 6 months or more since becoming a Lawful Permanent Resident, send evidence that you (and your family) continued to live, work and/or keep ties to the United States"

I guess I have to send in my IRS or work pay stubs etc.

I just hope I won't be denied !

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X