OCI and US Security Clearance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCI and US Security Clearance

I see some people in the same boat as I am. I renounced my Indian citizenship after obtaining the US citizenship. However, that is not by my choice.

The reason: India doesn't allow dual citizenship (although US does; although it isn't too clear about it on paper.)

India penalizes for not giving up its citizenship on acquiring another country's citizenship if not done in a timely manner. (The renunciation application has varying degrees of increasing penalties -- monetarily -- for the months and years after acquiring another country's citizenship, and also based on the number of visits made to India like a dual citizen -- which it clearly doesn't allow.) Since the constitution of India doesn't allow dual citizenship the penalties are justified in my view. (It should then be 'criminal' to use the Indian citizenship as a foreign national but since money can get one out of prosecution, why worry?

My main gripe is that the name of OCI is unfortunate. By having the middle initial stand for 'citizenship' it leaves a lot for interpretation. Particularly, this cannot be interpreted as a visa; but, which is what an expatriate's intention of getting OCI.

I think this may pose a problem for a former Indian citizen with OCI from obtaining a security clearance as a US citizen in the US. As it is, having property in India and/or relatives in India complicates the situation.

I have seen some threads which talk about this issue but most have not followed up as to whether the OCI had created any problems or not in the security clearance process. Any experiences you can share?

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X