My N600 Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My N600 Experience

Hello all, I just wanted to share my recent N600 application process here for anyone interested in doing it for themselves. I'm 24 and started thinking about becoming a us citizen this year.I found out since my dad naturalized when I was 16 I could get derived citizenship through him. I chose to do the N600 first then go about getting my passport.
    So my timeline goes like this:
    I sent my application on Feb 29 to the Arizona processing center.
    I got the NOA on March 7 saying it had been transfered to the National Benefits Center.
    My application was transferred to my local field office(San Jose) on March 24.
    And just today my case status online said that my oath ceremony date and time had been sent out!
    So in my application I included the following:
    1.N600 application
    2.two passport photos
    3.check for $600
    4.a copy of my birth certificate
    5.secondary evidence in lieu of my dad's birth certificate(let me know if you want details for what I included)
    6.secondary evidence of my parents marriage since they didn't register their marriage officially in their home coubtry
    (again I'll post exact papers for anyone interested)
    7.a copy of my dad's naturalization certificate
    8. A copy of my green card
    9. Evidence showing legal and physical presence in the us, I included: a copy of my high school transcript, three tax returns of my dad showing I was his dependent , all of which were when I was under 18, a copy of my dad's lease for our house were I lived in when I was under 18,
    10.a cover letter explaining why I included secondary evidence instead of primary documents
    I'm posting this to this forum and another one to reach out to anyone who might need this info. And that's it, I hope this helps anyone interested in doing the N600 when they're already adults. I thought it would take 6 months but it only took three. Cheers everybody!

Originals or copies?

Hi Ktwizzle,
    Very well written post!
    My questions are:
    1. We are applying N600 for our son who has US passport, but we still want a Naturalization certificate for the records. We have copies of child's birth certificate, copy of marriage certificate (original with us but submitting copy only) and copy of Wife's birth certificate (as we are applying for N600 through her), but her original birth certificate is with her parents in India, not here in US with us - we will get it next time we visit India. Question is: will copies be okay?
    2. Our child is in grade 1, shall we still get a note from school? From the "instructions for N600", it does not seem we really need to submit school note or our tax returns...
    3. Shall we include a copy of child's US passport, just to make our case stronger?
    Please advise
    Thanks!
    Last edited by gaggz; 06-06-2016, 11:45 PM. Reason: update

Comment

Originally posted by gaggz View Post
      Hi Ktwizzle,
      Very well written post!
      My questions are:
      1. We are applying N600 for our son who has US passport, but we still want a Naturalization certificate for the records. We have copies of child's birth certificate, copy of marriage certificate (original with us but submitting copy only) and copy of Wife's birth certificate (as we are applying for N600 through her), but her original birth certificate is with her parents in India, not here in US with us - we will get it next time we visit India. Question is: will copies be okay?
      2. Our child is in grade 1, shall we still get a note from school? From the "instructions for N600", it does not seem we really need to submit school note or our tax returns...
      3. Shall we include a copy of child's US passport, just to make our case stronger?
      Please advise
      Thanks!
      Sorry for the late reply, I hope this still helps if you need it.
      1.I sent in copies only so you should be ok, worst case scenario: apply w/ copies and if rfe comes up have documents express mailed to you, they should arrive in time to submit.
      2. Physical presence evidence is required. You can submit school records(w/ us parent name as guardian), deeds, social security reports,etc. See N600 instructions for more examples.
      3. You can if you want to but it isn't required. See n600 instructions for exact list of documents required.

-K

Comment

Additional question

Hi there,
        Can you provide more info on the secondary documents that you sent in lieu of parent marriage certificate, father's birth certificate? My husband is in the same situation as you were in and his father was born in Cambodia. He does not has birth certificate or marriage certificate to his mother. There is no family relatives to provide affidavits for his father's birth as they are still in Cambodia. Thanks for your help!

Comment

Please share

Hello,
          I am also in the same boat. My parents and I don't have a birth certificate and my parents don't have a marriage certificate as we were born in a refugee camp. I also would like to know what documents did you provided.

Comment

My experience so far with N600

Found out I had to have proof of citizenship when I applied for Social Security at age 62. I submitted any paperwork I could find-Canadian birth certificate, ancestry documents showing when my mother, who was born and raised in this country, left and returned to this country, her earning records from her teen years, and copies of census records showing my mother was in this country all through her youth. Also, I had her marriage certificate, my father's naturalization papers, and any other thing I thought would help bolster my case. I submitted the paperwork in 5/15. I was informed in 2/17 that I was on the list for the oath of allegiance, but have heard no further word. I just put in a service request to see if I could find out why it was continuing to take so long. I sent no originals, just copies of everything. I am hoping daily to get a date for the oath, so that I can then get my social security. I do hope everyone's cases do not take as long.

Comment

I am an adult and no longer am in legal physical custody of my parents; however I was in their legal physical custody when I was a minor and they naturalized (therefore deriving citizenship through them). I am confused as to whether N600 needs to be filled out from the perspective of when I derived citizenship. Specifically the question regarding legal+physical custody. I was when I was 13 and became a citizen; I am not as an adult now that I am filling out N600 for CoC.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X