A Unique Situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Unique Situation

Hello, my name is Jef, I'm about to turn 19 years old and I'm kind of in a back and forth sort of situation. I currently do not own any sort of identification (driver's license, state ID, recent school ID) and I can't have one made at my local DMV because I also don't have any valid proof that I am a resident or citizen of the US. The thing is, I believe that I am a citizen. My family came to the US from Cuba and my father took the citizenship test and naturalized, I'm not sure about my mother but she passed away years ago, however my father says that she did not naturalize. If what I've been told is correct, since my father naturalized before I turned 18, I automatically became a citizen with him and no longer need my green card. However, I don't have any sort of certificate that proves that I am a citizen or resident, but my father does. Right now the only documents I have are: an expired green card, an expired Cuban passport, a social security card that says "valid for work only with INS authorization," my original Cuban birth certificate along with a translated copy, and I could also go back to my high school to have my transcripts and other records printed. Also, my parents were divorced and we still have their marriage and divorce papers along with all of my dad's taxes starting from 2007 and many water bills and mortgage payments.

We've also been told that we can have an American passport made without any sort of ID needed, but when looking at the checklist to apply for one, an ID was listed as a requirement. We also have friends telling us one thing and attorneys telling us the opposite and DMV workers telling us something completely different. I don't know whether to file an N-600 or renew my green card, file an N-565 or apply for a passport. Or if I'm going about this all wrong and I actually need to go through some other bizarre application process.

I would just like to start working and going to school asap, as I've been at this for almost two years now. Thank you in advance for any and all help with my situation.

IMO, the best thing you can do for yourself is to get the N-600 in, so you are officially a citizen (naturalized) when it is approved. After that, you should be able to get a passport, drivers license etc without any issues.

Refer this thread and you may find a lot of info useful if you are going the N-600 route.
    Application Center: CKGS NY
    OCI
    Feb 3, 2017 -Application Received & Verification Complete
    Feb 6 -'Under Process' at CKGS
    Feb 7 -In-Transit & Under Process at Consulate
    Feb 8 -Govt of India: Date Of Acknowledgment
    -Documents Printing Status: UNDER-PROCESS

RENUNCIATION
    Feb 3,2017 -Application Received & Verification Complete
    Feb 6 -'Under Process' at CKGS
    Feb 7 -In-Transit & Under Process at Consulate
    Feb 8 -'Reviewed' by Consulate and ‘In Transit’ to CKGS