X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to naturalize husband: married abroad

I am a US citizen from birth.
    Husband has never even been to the US.
    I work abroad in China and he studies abroad here (he is Burundian). We recently married here in China.

I would like to help him apply for citizenship so that we can travel together easily and perhaps even live in the states together after our careers.

My problem is this: the forms I have found seem to be for immigrants who have spent a period of time in the US. Is it possible to naturalize my hubby while abroad? What forms does he need to fill out and where do I find them?

Thanks a bunch.

I am sorry, but there is no way he can be naturalized without even stepping foot on the US soil. The closest thing is for you to sponsor his green card application, which should be easy since you are a US citizen. Then after he gets his green card, he will have to go through the entire naturalization process, which implies a number of things, including his moving back to the US and maintaining physical presence and continuous residence for three years. After he satisfies the naturalization requirement, he will have to apply for it. The naturalization application normally takes half a year.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X