X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naturalisation of a baby born abroad

Dear all,

I have a quick question to trouble (or interest) you with:
    I (born in 1984) am a married US citizen living in the UK and am expecting a baby soon. My question is if the baby is eligible for US citizenship? The thing is not as simple as you think - let me explain.

My timeline:
    I move to the US in 12/2005 (green card/permanent resident).
    I got naturalised in 01/2011.
    Moved to the UK in 08/2011 (work related).
    Moving back to the US in 08/2017 (permanently).

Since I moved out in 08/2011, I got married (to a non-US citizen) and we are expecting a baby soon. So, my question is if the baby is eligible for the US citizenship? According to the law [https://travel.state.gov/content/tri...rn-abroad.html -- LOOK at Birth Abroad to One Citizen and One Alien Parent in Wedlock] for a US citizen living abroad, his offsprings are eligible for citizenship if he was physically present in the US for 5 years which I was from 12/2005 to 08/2011 (while I was a green-card holder). But the complication is if those 5 years should be when a citizen or is being a permanent resident during those 5 years OK?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanking you in advance,
    Rammstein

Originally posted by rammstein View Post
    Dear all,

I have a quick question to trouble (or interest) you with:
    I (born in 1984) am a married US citizen living in the UK and am expecting a baby soon. My question is if the baby is eligible for US citizenship? The thing is not as simple as you think - let me explain.

My timeline:
    I move to the US in 12/2005 (green card/permanent resident).
    I got naturalised in 01/2011.
    Moved to the UK in 08/2011 (work related).
    Moving back to the US in 08/2017 (permanently).

Since I moved out in 08/2011, I got married (to a non-US citizen) and we are expecting a baby soon. So, my question is if the baby is eligible for the US citizenship? According to the law [https://travel.state.gov/content/tri...rn-abroad.html -- LOOK at Birth Abroad to One Citizen and One Alien Parent in Wedlock] for a US citizen living abroad, his offsprings are eligible for citizenship if he was physically present in the US for 5 years which I was from 12/2005 to 08/2011 (while I was a green-card holder). But the complication is if those 5 years should be when a citizen or is being a permanent resident during those 5 years OK?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanking you in advance,
    Rammstein
    Congrats on your bundle of Joy

yes the baby will be born a US citizen , the 5 years is in your time is the US, regardless of status, and you also fullfil the 2 years on US soil after you were 14 years old

Comment

Originally posted by Neous View Post
      Congrats on your bundle of Joy

yes the baby will be born a US citizen , the 5 years is in your time is the US, regardless of status, and you also fullfil the 2 years on US soil after you were 14 years old

Thank you so much for your wishes and reply, Neous. This is great - so, all we have to do is take care about my wife's immigration (after we get our baby's US passport). She does have a visitor's visa expiring in 2020. I guess by the time she is waiting to hear from the consulate here, all three of us can be together in the US (the max time is 6 months - I would hate to wait apart while we wait for the procedure to finish). I wish there was a way to get my wife's green card while she is on a visitor's visa in the US (without leaving us).

Comment

if you're moving back permanently to the US in August why don't you start the process of gettting her a Green Card now, it can be a lengthy process.
        Use this form if you (the petitioner) are a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident, or U.S. national and you need to establish your qualifying relationship with an eligible relative (the beneficiary) who wishes to come to or stay in the United States permanently and apply for the Permanent Resident Card (also called a Green Card).

Comment

Originally posted by Neous View Post
          if you're moving back permanently to the US in August why don't you start the process of gettting her a Green Card now, it can be a lengthy process.
          https://www.uscis.gov/i-130
          Thank you so much for the reply, Neous. The thing is that I am currently in the job market and looking for jobs in the US. My contract here completes in around Sept 2017. So, I wouldn't know for sure which city/state I will be moving to but I do have a permanent address (my parents' place). Actually, won't I need to show my employment in the US in the forms regarding her migration? Or does it never ask for it? I have to check...

Comment

Originally posted by rammstein View Post
            Thank you so much for the reply, Neous. The thing is that I am currently in the job market and looking for jobs in the US. My contract here completes in around Sept 2017. So, I wouldn't know for sure which city/state I will be moving to but I do have a permanent address (my parents' place). Actually, won't I need to show my employment in the US in the forms regarding her migration? Or does it never ask for it? I have to check...
            you're right, the Affidavit of Support will ask for US address and / employment , in your case no US address since you live abroad, but securing a position back home will facilitate thing
            I just wonder how it would look for your wife to enter the US with a visitor visa while accompanied by 2 US citizens, and how that might delay the process with USCIS

Hopefully someone will chime in

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X