Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DUI conviction towards naturalization

Hello,

I know I've done a terrible and horrible mistake that left me a nightmare.

I got arrested for DUI on 6/2016 and had convicted as DUI last 10/2016 and still working on my way and reflecting on myself.

The worst part of the whole "DUI" process was that I was scheduled to have an interview for naturalization on 7/2016.

Well, I did go to the interview and told them what had happen a month ago. They told me that they cannot process any further due to the arrest and that I will be in probation. Therefore I withdrew.

Now, I am planning to pay off all the fines within 2~2.5 years and finish all the court ordered tasks so that I can hire an attorney for the early termination probation. After that, I am planning to re-apply for my naturalization. I've read many articles say that DUI doesn't automatically bar you from getting a citizenship. I even read a post about getting naturalized even before the 5 years of DUI conviction dates.

However, this is the part where I think I have messed up. My DUI case was a refusal DUI conviction, which I failed to follow the officer's orders.

I have not consulted this problem with any of the immigration lawyers yet. I just want to hear about you guys' opinions on whether to apply after my probation term is over (if I do get it off in 2.5 years) or just wait full 5 years after the probation period is over.

Any suggestions or stories that you know about DUI's and naturalizations?

Thanks in advance.

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X