citizenship question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• citizenship question

my Dad is a us citizen before I was born. his lawyer filed docs for me back in 2011 when i was 17 to get green card instead of us citizenship, i became a us resident on oct 2015, could I apply for us citizenship now that I got a green card without having to wait 5 years?

Look at "Resident Since" on your Green Card. It is five years after that date.

No other date matters. I have no idea what papers were filed in 2011, but as far as USCIS is concerned you were eligible to start the clock on that "Resident Since" date.

PS - You can "Early File" up to 90 days before your 5 year date, but you cannot take the oath until you'd be eligible based on the full five years. It just allows them to process your application/biometrics/interview you, so you can take the oath exactly on the 5th year anniversary.

PPS - Don't do what other people have done and file 91 days early by mistake, they WILL reject your application for filing even 24 hours too soon. It is exactly 90 days before 5 years after your Resident Since date. It is better to file it a week late than a week early because a rejected application could waste a month of your time.

Comment

First you have to verify that you are not already a US citizen, because if you are already a US citizen, they will reject your naturalization application. Because your father was a US citizen when you were born, there is a good chance you are a US citizen from birth.

Were you born in wedlock or out of wedlock? How much time was your father physically present in the US before your birth?

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X