Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

N-400 filing help? Need answer for a few questions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N-400 filing help? Need answer for a few questions!

Hi everyone,

Let's me jump straight to the story. I've met all the general eligibility requirements to apply for naturalization to be come a U.S. citizen. And I am at the point of filing the application.

Part11. Information about your children
    I have a daughter out of an unmarried. On my daughter birth-certificate doesn't even have my name as a father. But according to the form, looks like I have to list ALL children. But the problem is, the mother of the child never wants to take my financial support. I gave her money few times and she rejected it. She doesn't want me to see the baby as she said she does not want to confuse her child (she is now married with another husband).
    So, in fact, I do not have anything to submit as the "supporting documents". Or, do I have to submit anything along with this n-400 application? My immigrant lawyer stated "generally, you have to bring your child support documents. In fact, you have to find proof that you're not required to". Thing is getting very complicated now.

Any helps or input would greatly appreciated.
    Please tell me what can i do?

Thank you so much

If you have a lawyer I'd follow their advice.

In general though you're in an awkward position, you cannot knowingly lie on the N-400. If you do it can be grounds for deportation or loss of citizenship if you were to earn it via misrepresentation. So it is a big "no no." You're better off not applying for citizenship than lying.

So you're required to declare the child, but if you declare the child you're also required to show how you financially support the child (if they aren't living with you). Since you aren't financially supporting your child, you cannot show that.

You can provide "A letter from the parent or guardian who cares for your child." Essentially get your ex to write or sign a letter saying they don't want your financial assistance, however I don't know if that would work as you're meant to show that you support your child, all that letter proves is that you do not.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperSanta View Post
      If you have a lawyer I'd follow their advice.

In general though you're in an awkward position, you cannot knowingly lie on the N-400. If you do it can be grounds for deportation or loss of citizenship if you were to earn it via misrepresentation. So it is a big "no no." You're better off not applying for citizenship than lying.

So you're required to declare the child, but if you declare the child you're also required to show how you financially support the child (if they aren't living with you). Since you aren't financially supporting your child, you cannot show that.

You can provide "A letter from the parent or guardian who cares for your child." Essentially get your ex to write or sign a letter saying they don't want your financial assistance, however I don't know if that would work as you're meant to show that you support your child, all that letter proves is that you do not.
      I really appreciated your input and the quick response. Lying is obviously not in my plan EVER. So you're right, this is a very awkward situation. I will claim the child and bring the letter from my ex. In fact, that's the only "evident" that really can 'help' me in this case. I don't have anything else.

I'm just wondering how the officer response to these cases. Such, I see people who don't even know they have a child until 10 years later or until somebody tells them (due to the mom never wants them to know). Or cases similar to mine where no child support obligations needed simply because the other party NEVER wants to take any support.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X