Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is US passport a substitute for citizenship certificate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is US passport a substitute for citizenship certificate?

Hello,

I am a naturalized US citizen. My wife is in the process of getting her citizenship through me.

My wife has received an interview letter for N-400. The letter asks her to take my US Citizenship Certificate among other things to the interview. The problem is that the certificate is still with my parents who live very far away. I can't just go and grab it and I am uncomfortable with having them mail something so valuable.

Can my wife take my US passport instead?

A U.S. passport is proof of U.S. citizenship, and should satisfy the reviewer at your wife's N-400 interview.

--Ray B

Originally posted by jilapi4u View Post
    Hello,

I am a naturalized US citizen. My wife is in the process of getting her citizenship through me.

My wife has received an interview letter for N-400. The letter asks her to take my US Citizenship Certificate among other things to the interview. The problem is that the certificate is still with my parents who live very far away. I can't just go and grab it and I am uncomfortable with having them mail something so valuable.

Can my wife take my US passport instead?

Comment

Did she submit a copy of your Certificate of Naturalization with her application? If so, they usually want the originals of the documents whose copies were submitted.

Your US passport might work if it was issued at least 3 years before she applied (since she applied under the 3-year rule, she needs to prove that you've been a citizen for at least 3 years at the time she applied).

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post
        Did she submit a copy of your Certificate of Naturalization with her application? If so, they usually want the originals of the documents whose copies were submitted.

Your US passport might work if it was issued at least 3 years before she applied (since she applied under the 3-year rule, she needs to prove that you've been a citizen for at least 3 years at the time she applied).
        This is only for naturalized citizens right? for a natural born citizen (as stated in the passport, place of birth) it should not matter right?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X