Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amend tax returns prior to filing N-400 for technicality?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amend tax returns prior to filing N-400 for technicality?

Hello, my wife and I got our greencards thru my work sponsorship in 2012 and it's time to apply for naturalization. We both temporarily worked overseas in 2014/2015. She was a part-time teacher. However, on our tax return for those two years (we always filed as residents) I was listed as head of household and she was listed as "homemaker" with no income because we did not have her bank statements at the time of filing and the accountant said her income was minimal and within foreign income exemption amount and would not change our owed taxes anyway (we did not owe any). Technically, however, she was working, and our combined income would've been about $20K higher (yet still would not owe taxes).

My Qs:

1-Should we send our tax returns our transcripts with the N-400 (especially to prove that we kept filing taxes as residents while working overseas), or just bring them to interview?
    2-Is my wife's job per above worth amending taxes for or will it only "open a can of worms" with the IRS for little benefit? We can keep tax returns as-is and mention her job on her N-400, but worry USCIS officer might see a contradiction if they check the returns which say "homemaker". Alternatively, we could say she was a homemaker on N-400 too since her job would not consequential as far as taxes owed.

I appreciate the knowledgeable advice on what best to do.

Amend your taxes

Comment

i would definitely amend since it won't change your tax status any way. it's better to be truthful and apply that way than not and if caught, you can kiss your naturalization good bye (there's a clause in the n-400 about your moral character and this may just provide the excuse to deny your application).

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X