Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Citizenship Interview with Issues

Hi,

I am married and applied in Sep 2016 N-400 based on married to US citizen and 3 year rule.

Went to interview on April 06 2018 and my attorney was present at the time. Attorney asked to change the application to be reviewed as it was delayed and change it to 5 year rule which the officer gladly change it to.

Took the oath to start the interview.

Informed the officer to add one trip to Canada(6 days) which i forgot to list. Added an old traffic ticket in 2012 to the application. Added the overseas trip to Pakistan(28 days) to the application which i took after filling N 400.

Office started with the reading/writing/civic questions test which i passed.

Officer reviewed the information in the application and verified with me. Then asked the questions which were No on my application and specifically marked question 31 and 32. Asked me to initial those questions and date.

Resumed the further questions and completed this step of application review. Asked me to sign, Print and Date on the N 400 application.

Printed a page and asked me to review my name and other details and sign at the bottom with date.

He told me that he has additional questions while the computer is now back online after checking some information.

He told me that I came to US as visitor which i affirmed yes and then told me you got married while on the visit which i said yes.
    Let me add the background here for the readers: [we did the court marriage DEC 2007 and since i got admission in Masters here, it was decided that i will go to Pakistan to get F1 visa and we will do the ceremony after i will be back and plan to live together)

I went and got F1 visa and since the ceremony hadn't take place, i declared my self as "Single" on F1 visa application based on my understanding that the marriage is not complete as we just did the court marriage and didn't not consummate the marriage and the ceremony is not done yet and neither we started living together at any place.

I came back in Sep 2008 but due to some reasons the circumstances led to divorce(summary of dissolution of marriage in CA), filed in Jan 2009 and finalized July 2009 by the court in CA. Got married to US citizen in 2012 again.

Lastly the officer asked the question can you give an explanation and on a paper why you did declare yourself single in the F1 visa application. I did discuss with the attorney as we were taken by surprise on this and gave the explanation of my understanding as above and sign the paper which he added to the file.

He said he is going to send this n-400 file for the supervisor review and i will be informed in the next 30 - 45 days.

At this point i am very unsure and in chaos as what will be the outcome based on the scenario above; and should i prepare myself of any possible outcome which any of the members might know and can tell me here so i can live in reality to face the next stage of life.

We are also expecting a kid so its very stressful for us to go through this time at the moment not knowing whats gonna happen; i hope everyone understands.

Any information or advice from any one will be very appreciative.

Thanks

HI Simplelife,
    I recently had a similar bad experience at n400 interview where i was questioned about my divorce from US citizen spouse. I am so worried and do't know what the future holds. Did you hear back from them? What did you do? Good luck with everything. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X