Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost daughter's green card!

We are in an odd situation.

My wife and I were naturalized a few months ago, and we gave up our green cards.

I then started the process of preparing the passport application for me, my wife, and my 16 year old daughter, who was born in India.

I then realized that I had misplaced my daughter's green card. I have applied for a replacement green card, but that will take some time.

Question is, can I apply for her US passport while still waiting for the green card? Or do I need to wait for her replacement green card to arrive before I can apply for her passport?

Thanks!

Originally posted by asterix_nb View Post
    We are in an odd situation.

My wife and I were naturalized a few months ago, and we gave up our green cards.

I then started the process of preparing the passport application for me, my wife, and my 16 year old daughter, who was born in India.

I then realized that I had misplaced my daughter's green card. I have applied for a replacement green card, but that will take some time.

Question is, can I apply for her US passport while still waiting for the green card? Or do I need to wait for her replacement green card to arrive before I can apply for her passport?

Thanks!
    As long as she has any kind of proof of permanent residency, even if expired, it should be enough to prove her US citizenship to apply for a US passport.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post
      As long as she has any kind of proof of permanent residency, even if expired, it should be enough to prove her US citizenship to apply for a US passport.
      You shouldn’t spend extra resources on a card that she will not need after she receives her passport. Request an InfoPass and explain your circumstance, I’m sure you will recieve some kind of paperwork that will be sufficient to prove her residence is legitimate.

This is my opinion; I am not an expert; a lawyer nor am I in the legal field.

Comment

Thanks. Appreciate the advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X