RFE after 26 Federal Plaza Jacob Javitz Interview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RFE after 26 Federal Plaza Jacob Javitz Interview

Hi everyone, just wanted to share my timeline and experience in case helpful.

Filed N400 in NYC under marriage to US citizen.

5/5/17 application received
    5/29/17 biometrics, then no change to online status ("we sent you an appointment for biometrics on 5/15/17") for almost 8 months
    2/24/18 got interview notice
    4/4/18 interview at Federal Plaza, waited about 45 minutes, officer was very nice, civics questions were:
    -Who wrote the Constitution
    -Name one state that borders Mexico.
    -Who is the commander in chief of the military?
    -Name 3 of the original 13 colonies.
    -What is the political party of the current president?
    -What are the 2 main political parties in the US?

Was asked to read: "Who lives in the Whitehouse?"
    Was asked to write: "American Indians lived here before."

Then went through all the questions in my N400 application.
    Submitted a name change.

Was given a notice that said "decision could not be made at this time.." but was told to be on the lookout for an oath notice.

4/24/18 received an RFE (request for evidence) N-14 form proving that my spouse and I live together since 2014 (tax, bills, lease/mortgage, etc.), frustrating since I had all this at my interview, but regardless was happy to comply, except that the notice had no clear instructions on how to submit the additional documents. No return address, simply "return by 5/18". I called customer service to clarify and was patched through to an I/O 4 hours later and he said to simply mail it into the field office, address listed on the USCIS website. I pointed out that the address listed clearly states "do not send documents to this address, follow instructions on form." He then suggested to bring it in person by making an appointment via InfoPass, as Federal Plaza does not allow you to stroll in willy nilly. Anyone with any experience with InfoPass will know how stressful the system is. There are generally never appointments available, and on the odd chance you come across one in the middle of the night or early in the morning, the appointment slot becomes unavailable while you are filling out the information to book it. I read somewhere on here to set up browser extensions that track webpages for changes which I went to the effort to install. I even contact my immigration lawyer who managed my PERM application years ago and they were at a loss.

After 3 restless nights, my I/O office who interviewed me called! She said that I could bring in the evidence in person and that she would send me an appointment notice. So to anyone who has this issue, don't freak out like I did. Expect a phone call and wait, or better yet, ask at your interview what to do should you receive an RFE and request contact information.

4/30/18 went into the field office to submit evidence and reviewed them with a supervisor and my I/O.

5/2/18 received notice that an oath letter was sent.

It's been a year. Almost there!

I understand everyone's case is different, but wanted to share for what it is worth.

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X