Last name change Question. Got the interview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last name change Question. Got the interview

Interview is scheduled next week! Dallas Feb 2017 filer.

We want to shorten our last name and my wife wants to change from maiden and use the new short name which we specified while applying? Will this delay our Oath since its so backed up? How terrible is it with changing all the documents DL, SSN, property and bank and what about the Birth/Marraige/Degree certificates from India!? Does not changing that affect anything? One child was born in India and will get derived citizenship. How about his Indian BC? Any impact on school?

Originally posted by DallasFeb2017 View Post

We want to shorten our last name and my wife wants to change from maiden and use the new short name which we specified while applying? Will this delay our Oath since its so backed up? How terrible is it with changing all the documents DL, SSN, property and bank and what about the Birth/Marraige/Degree certificates from India!? Does not changing that affect anything? One child was born in India and will get derived citizenship. How about his Indian BC? Any impact on school?
    Yes, in Dallas, you are looking at about 3-4 months of a delay for people who have a name change requested.

You just submit a copy of the court order for name change to your bank, credit card company, etc. and wait a few days/weeks. Not much of a hassel, really.

Dont know how it works in India, though.

I dont understand your concern behind the last question. Why would your kid becoming a US citizen be a bad thing in any way for his school life? Just give the school a copy of his US passport (or his citizenship certificate which you can get by filing an N600) and maybe a change of information request form if they ask for one and thats pretty much it.
    Last edited by 001kja; 05-29-2018, 12:25 AM.

Comment

Clarifying

Changing my kid?s last name also and he has a Indian BC which obviously we can?t change. So was wondering if that will affect anything in terms of college etc

- - - Updated - - -

So is it about 3-4 months to do the Oath ceremony after the interview if name change is requested!

Comment

Originally posted by DallasFeb2017 View Post

Unless the workflow of the N-400 has changed, you may execute your name change when you get your Certificate of Naturalization at the Oath Ceremony. I remember I was asked to write down the name I wanted. I made no changes. Almost did, though. You can change your first, middle, last name to anything you want. It's the one time you get to do it without having to explain to a judge why you want your name changed.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X