N-400 experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N-400 experience

Wanted to share my experience it can maybe help someone going through the naturalization process or getting ready to go through it. Despite my previous arrests/ registering to vote ( by accident, but never actually voted) my experience was very smooth and fast.
    Here is my timeline

March 12,2018- We received your application
    March 17- We scheduled your biometric appt
    April 5- We reviewed your biometrics
    April 23- We scheduled your interview
    June 8- interview day
    July 20- Oath ceremony scheduled ( Later date due to name change)

My case was far from simple, but I?m proud to say it?s all almost over and I did it all on my own. Got my PR through parents before they both became US citizens. I?ve had my PR for nine years. Fee waiver was approved for my n-400.
    I had a petty theft charge 7 years ago, DUI four years ago, and registered to vote last year by accident, but got that cancelled soon as I found out ,was on probation for a car accident I was involved in, but had no car insurance, I filed a motion to terminate probation 3 days before my interview & it was granted yay! I did tons of research since I couldn?t afford a lawyer. I knew everything they would ask for, so I came prepared and organized. I provided all three court dispositions and proof that I canceled the voter registration. Also, I moved just days before my interview and lost my GM in the process, i reported it to police day before the interview and took the report with me. I was very honest on my application, I disclosed EVERYTHING! IO didn?t ask much about the arrests just looked at the court dispositions, he was very friendly and he mentioned how people waste their money to hire attorneys when all they do is fill out the paperwork. He said I was very organized and sharp 😊 . I?m glad this journey is almost over!! Good luck to all

waiting for interview

new york

hi,
    i filed N400 in september
    had my biometrics in october 27
    it's been 9 months and we have no appt for interview yet. the online status says "in december 13 we started processing you case"
    is it normal?

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky8 View Post
      Wanted to share my experience it can maybe help someone going through the naturalization process or getting ready to go through it. Despite my previous arrests/ registering to vote ( by accident, but never actually voted) my experience was very smooth and fast.
      Here is my timeline

March 12,2018- We received your application
      March 17- We scheduled your biometric appt
      April 5- We reviewed your biometrics
      April 23- We scheduled your interview
      June 8- interview day
      July 20- Oath ceremony scheduled ( Later date due to name change)

My case was far from simple, but I?m proud to say it?s all almost over and I did it all on my own. Got my PR through parents before they both became US citizens. I?ve had my PR for nine years. Fee waiver was approved for my n-400.
      I had a petty theft charge 7 years ago, DUI four years ago, and registered to vote last year by accident, but got that cancelled soon as I found out ,was on probation for a car accident I was involved in, but had no car insurance, I filed a motion to terminate probation 3 days before my interview & it was granted yay! I did tons of research since I couldn?t afford a lawyer. I knew everything they would ask for, so I came prepared and organized. I provided all three court dispositions and proof that I canceled the voter registration. Also, I moved just days before my interview and lost my GM in the process, i reported it to police day before the interview and took the report with me. I was very honest on my application, I disclosed EVERYTHING! IO didn?t ask much about the arrests just looked at the court dispositions, he was very friendly and he mentioned how people waste their money to hire attorneys when all they do is fill out the paperwork. He said I was very organized and sharp 😊 . I?m glad this journey is almost over!! Good luck to all
      Congratulations on your passing your citizenship interview!
      I am so glad that you were prepared to answer any questions regarding your various life challenges truthfully. I am also impressed that you satisfied the concerns of the officer and you did this without a lawyer.
      I am an ESL/citizenship instructor. I see so many students that have no challenges, and others who have the same or similar challenges that you have described. I am NOT a lawyer, so we cannot give legal advice. I just tell them that it is all up to them. They can try it without a lawyer or consult a lawyer. Most of them are somewhat minor offenses, so if they can explain it in English, I encourage them to give it a try without a lawyer if they want. How well they speak English is also a factor in their decision. If they can't explain what happened in English, it gets a little difficult.

Thank you so much for sharing your story and information with us. You experience will give hope and help many people. Good luck in life.

Comment

Originally posted by klast View Post
        new york

hi,
        i filed N400 in september
        had my biometrics in october 27
        it's been 9 months and we have no appt for interview yet. the online status says "in december 13 we started processing you case"
        is it normal?
        Up to a year can be "normal." Just contact USCIS by phone or by computer. They will "track" your application and then give you its status. You have a right to ask about it after 6 months. For one of my students, the wait was 10 months before he got his appointment date.
        Good Luck!

Comment

Thank you, Suziq38! I actually offered to explain what happened leading to my dui, but he said it?s ok it wasn?t necessary to confess to him (jokingly) he simply went through the court dispositions and that was enough for him. I thought losing my GC while moving would delay the process, but it had no impact on the outcome at all. Also, my application was with the Louisville FO. I actually contacted a few lawyers late last year about my n-400, but they all told me that I would be denied due to the dui being less than 5 years old, I was discouraged at that point, but I started to do research and decide to take a chance of filing and it worked out in the end and cost me $0 thanks to the fee waiver. My advice, do your research of your own, not all lawyers are experts when it comes to immigration.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X