interpreter for citizenship interview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• interpreter for citizenship interview

My father has been scheduled for N-400 citizenship interview in a month. He has been holding greencard for 15 years and older than 55 (55/15 rule that exempts him from English test).

I am planning to be his interpreter for the citizenship interview as well as for civic test, as he has a strong local accent of foreign language.

My question is, can a son be the interpreter for his father in N-400 citizenship interview? if not, will USCIS have employee assigned as foreign language interpreter for the interview?

Any feedbacks would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by tristate View Post
    My father has been scheduled for N-400 citizenship interview in a month. He has been holding greencard for 15 years and older than 55 (55/15 rule that exempts him from English test).

I am planning to be his interpreter for the citizenship interview as well as for civic test, as he has a strong local accent of foreign language.

My question is, can a son be the interpreter for his father in N-400 citizenship interview? if not, will USCIS have employee assigned as foreign language interpreter for the interview?

Any feedbacks would be greatly appreciated.
    If he plans on taking the interview in his language, he has to provide his own interpreter. If the language is a common one, like Spanish, the officer can choose to interview the applicant h/herself if h/she speaks the same language. You have to ask the question exactly as asked, and translate very accurately. Sometimes, another officer who speaks the same language will assist. If the officer senses that the relative is changing the translation or helping too much, he/she may stop the interview. There are officers who speak multiple languages.

There should not be a problem with you being the interpreter. Just tell your father that you will be unable to help him during the interview so he must study hard regardless.

Comment

interpreter for citizenship interview

Hi suziq38, thank you very much for your response, especially your recommendation -- my father will understand. Saw this on the web that, from Jan 2017, USCIS started following new rules on interpreter conflict of interest, limiting relatives as interpreters, except for cases such as dialect of foreign language. I am hoping they can take my father's foreign language dialect into consideration, and allow me to be the interpreter.

I am also worried USCIS may postpone the interview if they cannot find a qualified interpreter.

Would appreciate any thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by tristate View Post
        Hi suziq38, thank you very much for your response, especially your recommendation -- my father will understand. Saw this on the web that, from Jan 2017, USCIS started following new rules on interpreter conflict of interest, limiting relatives as interpreters, except for cases such as dialect of foreign language. I am hoping they can take my father's foreign language dialect into consideration, and allow me to be the interpreter.

I am also worried USCIS may postpone the interview if they cannot find a qualified interpreter.

Would appreciate any thoughts.
        What is his language and dialect?

Sometimes I take classes sponsored by the USCIS in Washington DC. They come out to various major cities in the U.S. and teach us how to teach citizen preparation classes. What they teach us is very good, and I appreciate their efforts to make us more knowledgable. What is most insightful are our one on one questions and their honest answers.

I have asked about interpreters. They told me that sometimes the relatives are permitted. Their concern is whether or not the translation is correct or if the translator is helping the applicant answer the questions. They also have the option of getting a translator on the telephone. This is awkward and more difficult, IMHO. I don't know who arranges this or who has to pay for this service if it is on the phone. Maybe you can call your USCIS office directly and ask. Maybe they will help you prepare, or give you phone numbers of professional interpreters. This usually costs money, so I hope that they will accept your free services.

I also have two or three students who qualify to take the exam in their native language, but chose to take it in English after a lot of practice. See if your father can answer some of the basic questions in English. If not, he has no other choice but to take it in his native language.
        At any rate, in order for me to learn, I hope that you let us know what happens.

Thank you!
        Last edited by suziq38; 06-29-2018, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by suziq38 View Post
          What is his language and dialect?

Sometimes I take classes sponsored by the USCIS in Washington DC. They come out to various major cities in the U.S. and teach us how to teach citizen preparation classes. What they teach us is very good, and I appreciate their efforts to make us more knowledgable. What is most insightful are our one on one questions and their honest answers.

I have asked about interpreters. They told me that sometimes the relatives are permitted. Their concern is whether or not the translation is correct or if the translator is helping the applicant answer the questions. They also have the option of getting a translator on the telephone. This is awkward and more difficult, IMHO. I don't know who arranges this or who has to pay for this service if it is on the phone. Maybe you can call your USCIS office directly and ask. Maybe they will help you prepare, or give you phone numbers of professional interpreters. This usually costs money, so I hope that they will accept your free services.

I also have two or three students who qualify to take the exam in their native language, but chose to take it in English after a lot of practice. See if your father can answer some of the basic questions in English. If not, he has no other choice but to take it in his native language.
          At any rate, in order for me to learn, I hope that you let us know what happens.

Thank you!

Thanks again, and will call USCIS and share our experience next month.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X