What is my status as a Citizen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is my status as a Citizen?

I have a foreign birth certificate and was naturalized through my parents becoming citizens. What is my status in the US?

Originally posted by Blueman99 View Post
    I have a foreign birth certificate and was naturalized through my parents becoming citizens. What is my status in the US?
    I don't understand your question. If you are a US citizen then you are a US citizen.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

As said above, your question doesn't really make sense. If you've been naturalized then you're a US citizen, that's your status.
      Marriage AOS - 2018

4-10: Sent to Chicago Lockbox
      4-12: Arrived in Chicago
      4-14: Picked up by USCIS
      4-19: Email & text notifications received
      4-23: I-797 Receipts received
      4-27: Biometrics notice received
      5-10: Courtesy letter for I-693
      5-11: Biometrics completed
      6-04: Interview scheduled
      6-09: Received interview letter
      7-10: Interview complete & approved, status change to New Card being Produced
      7-13: Card was Mailed
      7-18: Green Card in Hand

Comment

Your parents probably did not become U.S. citizens until after you were born. Once they became U.S. Citizens, you automatically became an American citizen as well, provided that you were under the age of 18 when they obtained their citizenship.
        You can apply for an official certificate from U.S.C.I.S., but this costs money.

I was also told by several parents that ordering U.S. passports for each child is more economical way to show citizenship. I don't know what the procedure for doing so is, but it may be a lot cheaper than ordering certificates from the USCIS.
        I have had parents do either one or the other with no problems, but you do what is best for your family.

I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.

Comment

Agree with other comments. You are a US Citizen. I just did the same for my kids. Wife was Naturalized in Jan and applied for kids US Citizenship using her Certificate of Naturalization. Work like a charm. Everyone has a US Passport and I splurged for the nice looking US Passport card. Great to carry around because of the size.

Comment

Originally posted by suziq38 View Post
            Your parents probably did not become U.S. citizens until after you were born. Once they became U.S. Citizens, you automatically became an American citizen as well, provided that you were under the age of 18 when they obtained their citizenship.
            Only if the OP was a US permanent resident, living in the US with his parents, while under 18.

Originally posted by suziq38 View Post
            You can apply for an official certificate from U.S.C.I.S., but this costs money.

I was also told by several parents that ordering U.S. passports for each child is more economical way to show citizenship. I don't know what the procedure for doing so is, but it may be a lot cheaper than ordering certificates from the USCIS.
            I have had parents do either one or the other with no problems, but you do what is best for your family.

I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.
            Specifically, filing N-600 for a Certificate of Citizenship costs $1170. A US passport costs $115 for a child under 16, or $145 for an adult over 16. The evidence of citizenship is the same for both -- proof of citizenship of the parent while the child was under 18, proof of permanent resident status of the child under 18, and marriage certificate or other evidence that the child was in the custody of the parents.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post
              Only if the OP was a US permanent resident, living in the US with his parents, while under 18.

Specifically, filing N-600 for a Certificate of Citizenship costs $1170. A US passport costs $115 for a child under 16, or $145 for an adult over 16. The evidence of citizenship is the same for both -- proof of citizenship of the parent while the child was under 18, proof of permanent resident status of the child under 18, and marriage certificate or other evidence that the child was in the custody of the parents.
              Wow! The certificate is more expensive than I thought. Thank you for your information.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X