N400 application - tax question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N400 application - tax question

I am about to apply for naturalization and was confused about the tax question. I got my green card in July 2011, after which we applied for a reentry permit (I-131). I came back to the U.S. in September 2012 and have lived here since then. I was a full time college student (undergraduate) from 2012-2016. I started doing a work-study job in 2013 and have filed taxes since then.

However, I did not file taxes in 2011 and 2012 because I did not have any income. I was 17 and 18 years old in those two years, respectively.

I am confused whether I should answer 'yes' or 'no' to question 7a in part 12.
    "Have you ever not filed a federal, state or local tax return since you became a permanent resident?"

Well, the general consensus I have seen is that the goal of the question to alienate those who failed to file taxes when they were required to file. In your case, the answer can be yes or no likely without any negative repercussions. In either case, just attach an explanation that you did not file because you had no income and were not required to file.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X